Knee Replacement Surgery

Cathy W.
on 1/4/15 3:18 am

Thank you for your post.  I really needed to read it today.  Yesterday was a bad, bad pain day.  Today is a little better but still bad pain.  I know it will be worth it long-term but pain management is very difficult.  I'm not sleeping very well either due to the pain. 

I'm doing my PT exercises twice a day because I know they are the most important thing to having success with my new knee.  They sent me home with an ice transfer machine that circulates ice cold water around my lower leg, knee and lower thigh.  I wear that from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed and that does help. 

Thanks again for your reply.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Racewalker48
on 1/5/15 11:24 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Ah, the wonderful ice machine.  Feels wonderful especially after a day of PT!  Hang in there Cathy! Keep on top of the pain and it will get better.  By the way, there are joint replacement forums if you haven't found one.  The one I love is Bonesmart.  Great group of experienced people who have been through what you are going through right now.  You will find that your experience is very similar to alot of people who have knee replacement.  This forum was a wealth of information too.  

Loris
on 1/6/15 4:13 am - Midlothian, VA
On January 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM Pacific Time, Cathy W. wrote:

Thank you for your post.  I really needed to read it today.  Yesterday was a bad, bad pain day.  Today is a little better but still bad pain.  I know it will be worth it long-term but pain management is very difficult.  I'm not sleeping very well either due to the pain. 

I'm doing my PT exercises twice a day because I know they are the most important thing to having success with my new knee.  They sent me home with an ice transfer machine that circulates ice cold water around my lower leg, knee and lower thigh.  I wear that from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed and that does help. 

Thanks again for your reply.

Cathy, please use extreme caution using the ice machine. There have been many cases of frost bite with patients of these devices. 

MickeyDee
on 1/2/15 3:19 pm

I just had my second TKR and the others are right:  the pain is an entirely different level from any other surgery I've ever had.  There are good pain meds, and I strongly suggest you use them.  The less pain you are in the easier it is to do the P/T.  

I went straight from the surgery hospital to a rehab facility because I live alone.  I had P/T twice daily, and the techs were terrific.  Very understanding and helpful.  I was usually medicated pre-P/T and then they would do a wonderful ice pack, which really helped.  I spent two weeks post-op in the rehab facility for each knee, and it has made all the difference in the world.  

So do the meds, do the P/T, and good for you for getting the bionics.  

You'll see;  another year and you'll forget this ever happened.

Cathy W.
on 1/4/15 3:22 am

Thanks for your reply.  Yesterday the pain was the worst it has been in quite awhile, and today still pretty bad.  I'm going to remember what you said that this time next year that I'll forget this ever happened.  That helps me tremendously because I'm having such a difficult time now with the pain management and sleeping. 

Thanks for your support.

Cathy

MickeyDee
on 1/6/15 1:36 pm

I can't emphasize enough about the pain meds.  TAKE THEM.  You don't get little gold stars for suffering, so take the meds.  I use 15mgs of oxy at night to sleep.  I was using 15 mgs twice daily, which lasted me about 8 hours, then have been able to reduce it in the past week.

The pain will go away, but there is no need to inflict misery on yourself.

KattattaK
on 1/2/15 4:00 pm

Great post!!! I hope your recovery passes by quickly!!! Better days ahead 😊

Cathy W.
on 1/4/15 3:23 am

Thanks for your good wishes. 

Cathy

Grim_Traveller
on 1/2/15 11:36 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I hope you continue to feel better Cathy. Thanks to you and everyone else for sharing.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cathy W.
on 1/4/15 3:24 am

Thanks for your replies and support.  If you decide to move forward and consider the surgery for yourself, please feel free to contact me for any questions and support. 

Cathy