Knee Replacement Surgery

Cathy W.
on 1/1/15 10:11 pm

I had knee replacement surgery on 12/18/14.  I've had gastric bypass and two c-sections and they were a breeze.  I thought the same thing would happen with my knee surgery but I was wrong.  It has been a whole new experience of pain. 

I'm looking forward to being able to walk without pain.  Being able to take walks outside and on my treadmill.  I used to look at exercise as a "have to" but now it will be a "get to" exercise. 

Having knee replacement surgery is a result of being morbidly obese for so many years.  Being morbidly obese is more than wanting to lose weight.  It is about being healthy for the long term and avoid having knee replacement surgery and other co-morbid issues. 

gbsinsatx
on 1/1/15 11:25 pm - San Antonio, TX

I also had knee replacement surgery recently (right knee: 7/23/14 & left knee: 11/18/14) . If interested, please see my profile page in the Blog section regarding my experience.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Cathy W.
on 1/2/15 7:07 am

Thanks for sharing your experience.  My measurements have been excellent when my p.t. has taken them which is encouraging.  Best of luck to you!

Kathy S.
on 1/2/15 12:37 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Good Luck Cathy!  We know this is a tough one but it will be so worth it in the long run.  Keep us posted on how you are doing!  You will be  soon!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Cathy W.
on 1/2/15 7:08 am

Thanks for your encouragement!

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/2/15 1:42 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Please keep us updated. I've needed two new knees for a while now, but keep chickening out. I'd love to hear whatever you have to say on the subject.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cathy W.
on 1/2/15 7:24 am

I wanted to back out of having the surgery but I didn't.  I'm glad that I had it done but as much research that I did and as informed as I thought I was, it was much more difficult than I thought.

Since I've done so well with other surgeries, I thought the same would go for my knee....NOT.  This surgery is huge.  Living with a new prosthesis is a process.  I wasn't prepared for as much pain as I've had.  Management of my pain was an issue and sleeping was very difficult due to the pain.  There were a couple of days that I didn't sleep from the pain.  I didn't want to take the heavy duty pain meds which was a mistake.  I also tried to return to work too soon.  My doctor told me to stay out three weeks but I tried to return after only one week.  My expectations of myself and rebounding from the surgery were too high.  When you get it done, give yourself time to recover, take the pain meds as you need them and do the physical therapy no matter what.  Physical therapy is crucial to a successful recovery.

The measurements that my physical therapist have done have been excellent which is due to doing my exercises.  I've had home p.t. which has been helpful.  At four days post-op, my measurements were like someone that was two weeks post-op.  I know that I've done well but I wish I'd been more realistic in the expectations of myself and my recovery.

My physical therapist just came for my appointment so I'll end this now and post more later. 

Cathy

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/2/15 1:55 pm - OH

You tried to go back to work after only ONE week?!?!?!?  I was still struggling with a walker at only one week out! Even going back to work at three weeks out would have been difficult for me.  I still would have struggled to sit without pain (and pain meds) at that point.

Yes, the pain from knee replacement is a completely different kind of pain from abdominal surgery, and even with the good drugs, it is often difficult to control the pain enough that it doesn't interfere with sleep.  I spent many half-sleepless nights during the first two weeks after both of my knee replacements.

You are past the worst of it, though. And one of these days you will suddenly realize that you have walked some short distance with no pain at all 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cathy W.
on 1/2/15 8:18 am

I don't know that I would get both knees done at the same time but I know that many people do. 

My p.t. just told me that they will see me for in-home p.t. next week then I'll be released for outpatient p.t. for a few months.  Looking back, I am only two weeks post-op and well on my way for my recovery.  The last two weeks have been challenging but to be able to walk normally without pain will be worth it.

I'll post updates but feel free to contact me if you have any questions as you consider the surgery for yourself. 

Cathy

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/2/15 2:07 pm - OH

What she said about the pain level, especially during the first two weeks! It is unlike any other kind of pain I've ever had, even from a broken bone. It is a deep, pervasive  pain. Just when you think it isn't ever going to hurt any less, the pain level drops a bit.

Also, be prepared to find that -- for the first week or two --every time you do your PT exercises it feels like you are starting back at square one rather than making any progress.  As with the pain, though, suddenly you find that you can bend it more and can straighten it more. Not a universal experience, but an extremely common one.

No way in hell would I do both knees together!  I personally wouldn't even do them less than 4 months apart, because you rely on the non-surgical leg a lot. Mine were 8 months apart, and that was fine, but it took a good 4 months before the previously replaced knee didn't have pain (discomfort) and swelling and felt really strong. 

You know how long I put it off because I was being a big baby about it... And once I faced the fear and had it done (and got through the first 6 weeks), I wished I hadn't suffered with the bad knees so long!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.