Not feeling any different.....

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/15 4:47 am

Hi…Just had my revision surgery on 12/26/14. Went from the band (8yrs) to the RNY…Came home from the hospital STARVING! I swear I feel no different and if I tried could probably eat anything I wanted! I have had no restriction nor any problems getting liquids down. I just actually drank a whole can of Creamy Broccoli soup 10 1/2 ozs without any problem..is this normal?? Obviously not because I keep reading about people not being able to even get down 2-3ozs of fluids. The only thing stopping me from eating is willpower but I seriously don't know how much longer I can hold out..obviously if I had willpower I wouldn't of got my self to the point of needing surgery in the first place.

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/15 5:36 am

You need to really need to make sure you measure.Your stomach or new pouch is healing.You may not feel anything but you could really hurt yourself.

marymo362
on 1/1/15 5:43 am
RNY on 03/18/14

Your pouch isn't going to feel much because of the nerves having been cut and otherwise traumatized. You really need to measure what you consume so you don't over-eat and possibly risk causing a major problem with your healing pouch.

Good luck and heal well

H/W: 312 S/W: 280 C/W: 196 Surgery date: 3/18/2014

Gwen M.
on 1/1/15 6:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

A lot of your nerves were severed so your stomach is currently a lying liar that lies.  Stick to your surgeon's plan and don't try to test out your pouch to see what it can handle.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/15 6:53 am

I hope so! I know everyone is different but I just keep hearing how everyone who comes home can't eat or drink…its so frustrating because I'm starving and I know I can eat.

Gwen M.
on 1/1/15 6:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Well eating too much might damage your healing stomach, so that's a bad idea.  

A lot of the time, hunger is really just stomach acid masquerading as hunger.  Are you taking a PPI such as Prilosec or Nexium?  If you aren't, ask your surgeon about starting one.  If you are, ask your surgeon about changing to a stronger one.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/2/15 5:03 am

Just because we can do a thing doesn't mean we should. It is extremely important for you to follow your post op plan and not engage in freestyle eating. The habits you form now-good or bad-will determine a lot of your success or failure. That means following the plan.

Most of us had/have food issues. It's a bit like putting the petty thief in charge of the collection plate. We need no help finding temptation.  We don't have the best behaviors around food.

So here is the tough part: pull it together, follow the plan, and don't make up your own rules. You have a shot at success. Don't screw it up with cream of crap.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/15 5:17 am

OMG! Thank you...but what do you do when you're so hungry? I've been good for the most part...the soup was the worse thing I had..it's been 1 week today when can I start real food?

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/2/15 5:43 am, edited 1/2/15 5:47 am

It can be hard to deal with head hunger and physical hunger. One of the things I find helpful with head hunger is distraction. Get away from food and find something to do, preferably that involves both hands. Crochet, knit, do crosswords, walk up and down the stairs with handweights--the list is long.

For physical hunger: I eat on a schedule, so if I am half an hour or so within meal time, I remind myself food is on its way and I will not starve to death.

Pull out your binder and look over your plan. You will have a list of foods and stages. If you are allowed no caffeine herbal tea, that might be soothing on a healing stomach.

ETA: A therapist is really helpful with food issues.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

ladygodiva1228
on 1/2/15 1:11 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On January 1, 2015 at 12:47 PM Pacific Time, Donna4166 wrote:

Hi…Just had my revision surgery on 12/26/14. Went from the band (8yrs) to the RNY…Came home from the hospital STARVING! I swear I feel no different and if I tried could probably eat anything I wanted! I have had no restriction nor any problems getting liquids down. I just actually drank a whole can of Creamy Broccoli soup 10 1/2 ozs without any problem..is this normal?? Obviously not because I keep reading about people not being able to even get down 2-3ozs of fluids. The only thing stopping me from eating is willpower but I seriously don't know how much longer I can hold out..obviously if I had willpower I wouldn't of got my self to the point of needing surgery in the first place.

First off like others have said your nerves have been cut so any type of hunger you are feeling is more than likely head hunger. 

Why would you even attempt to drink a whole can of any soup? 

I have Dr. Pohl as my surgeon also and can tell you after seeing him for 11 years and getting ready myself to go from band to bypass he would go ape **** on you for NOT following the plan. 

You need to get into see a therapist NOW. 

I know of two people who didn't follow the post-op plan and both of them died with-in weeks.  They couldn't get their heads wrapped around the fact that they just had major surgery and could not longer eat they way they did.  They both ruptured their staple line.  One was found dead in their closet with McDonalds bags lying around them and the other made it to the hospital, but before anything could be done she died. 

So if want to jeopardize your life by not following your surgeons plan by all means have at it, but when you don't wake up one morning there was no one to blame but yourself. 

Maybe a call to Dr. Pohl and tell him how you are feeling and what you are doing would open your eyes.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl