Alcoholism after surgery

Mell
on 12/31/14 12:50 am

Myself no, but my sister in law died a year and a half after her RYN just weeks after her 36th birthday due to complications from cross addition alcohol addiction. I have a hard time just writing about it, but please be careful, she was a beautiful young lady and we miss her deeply.  The addiction kills faster with us WLS patients, get help, please.

There were over 150 people at her funeral I wish she loved herself as much as we all did.

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Eggface
on 12/31/14 12:52 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Thought I'd give you this link: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2012/06/life- after-weight-loss-surgery-q_27.html

My brief experience and a few articles and studies on the topic. You are not alone for sure.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

dawdee
on 2/27/15 7:56 am - Las Vegas, NV

I was looking for information on this topic today and found your post. I am very glad I did. 

I have an alcohol addiction now after spending my whole life vowing never to get involved with the stuff because of the alcoholism in my family and what it has done to member in my family. I spent 4 years taking care of my brother who had stopped drinking and ended up in ICU for 3 weeks. So I just knew nothing like this would happen to me. 

Well it did and its been relatively awful. Depression, thoughts of suicide, and then more drinking. While those around me don't see what is so bad about my life, I haven't been able to find too much good in it the last 2 years. I have regained 40 pounds of the hundred I lost and this has not helped at all in an attempt to stop drinking when I feel so sad, depressed and like a failure.

Things are better at the moment. I haven't had a drink in a few weeks and I am thinking of going for treatment soon. So... just wanted to let you know you aren't alone and I was really glad to find your post which had so many other informative posts as well.

I hope to one day believe again that whatever my mind can conceive & believe I will achieve.

Cheriebabie
on 2/27/15 10:56 am

Hi There,

I work in the behavioral health field and cant tell you how many assessments I've done over the years where folks did not have a drinking problem till after their surgery.  I think that's why most surgeons have you assessed for any signs of addiction prior to surgery.  Addiction to other substance be it alcohol or other things has been known to happen.  

VSG surgery date (12/08/14) 5'3" Female age 55 - 255 (HW) 247 (start wt) 234 (PreOp) 186 (CW)