Is skim milk OK to drink after surgery?

Amieb00
on 12/29/14 11:15 pm

I'm just wondering if you're able to drink milk at all during the liquid stage.

Raze
on 12/29/14 11:23 pm, edited 12/29/14 11:24 pm

it won't matter, trust me. i can't remember i was sipping broth and water and juice. prob had a bit of milk, too. might depend on surgery type, also. and other things which have to do with you. we're all different like that :) 

Amieb00
on 12/29/14 11:31 pm

Thanks for the reply :)  I hope I'll be able to sip a bit here and there, because I only drink milk and water.  I'd hate not to have anything else at all.

Raze
on 12/29/14 11:36 pm

sure, no prob. i am sure a few others may chime in who have had "the sleeve" as i see in your profile will be your surgery. oh, and your artwork is awesome, btw =]

Amieb00
on 12/29/14 11:39 pm

Thank you!!! My artwork means the world to me

Valerie G.
on 12/30/14 12:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's fine, but keep in mind that milk naturally has a lot of sugars in it and may actually impede your weight loss.

Also, many discover a new intolerance to milk and some with all dairy after surgery. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

meka33319
on 12/30/14 3:44 am

Very true Valerie, I can only drink Soy Milk now...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/30/14 12:45 am - OH

Some surgeons prefer that their patients not drink calories at all (unless it is a protein shake), but many permit skim (or even 1%) milk since it helps meet both your liquid and protein intake goals and very early on anything that helps with those things is good.

My surgeon, for example, permitted it from the very beginning but encouraged her patients to limit milk to a cup per day once they were cleared for all foods.  I still often drink one half to one cup of milk at 7+ years post-op.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kate -True Brit
on 12/30/14 12:50 am - UK

It makes it easier for us to answer if you put your surgery type on your profile so it shows at the top of each post. You were hoping to get the sleeve, so I will leave it to sleeved people to answer! But banded oeople certainly can have skimmed milk. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

meka33319
on 12/30/14 3:43 am

During the liquid phase I drank soy milk, I'm thinking skim milk may be ok. But for some reason the diary bothered me. I would say try both and see which one you like. Its really weird some things you liked before surgery you won't like after. Try and see which one is ok...