new member- parent of obese teen

lisymom
on 1/1/15 6:14 am

Hi, My 17 y.o. daughter is extremely obese ( probably up to 385 now) and also has many emotional issues. I am just looking for support, chat rooms, information... anything to help me (and her.) I am a large woman myself and have always struggled with my weight but my daughter (who joined us by adoption) is almost twice my size, and resists all efforts for trying to lose weight. It's painful to watch her struggle, and yet to refuse all help from me. Does anyone know of online chats for parents of obese teens?  THANKS 

Gwen M.
on 1/1/15 9:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The best thing you can do is to set a good example through your actions instead of anything else.  Which has got to be hard, but anything more than that will only backfire.  Be 100% supportive of her and work on changing your own lifestyle and modeling healthy behaviors.  

Good luck to you both.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NYMom222
on 1/1/15 9:52 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I believe there are forums/boards on here that are for family members. That being said, I agree with leading by example. By your own admission you are a 'large woman'. She needs to see you making an effort.  You can't control everything but you can control what is in your household. Get rid of the junk, and have healthy family meals. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

poet_kelly
on 1/1/15 1:47 pm - OH

I would put a lot of effort into the things you can control and not try to control the things you can't control.  Like, you can control what food you buy and keep in the house.  You can't control what she eats when she's not home.  You can control what you eat and how much exercise you get, and therefore set a really good example.  You can't control everything she eats or make her exercise.  You can do little things like when you take her to the store, park a little further away so you both end up walking further - you don't have to tell her that's why you are parking where you park.  But you can't make her do things like that all the time.  You can make things available to her, like exercise equipment or videos, a registered dietician if she wants professional advice, etc. but you can't make her utilize those resources.  So I would just put your energy into the things you can control and not frustrate yourself and your daughter trying to control things that are out of your control.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MickeyDee
on 1/1/15 4:24 pm

You might also encourage her to come to this site and read the posts here.  I know I was hopeless about my M.O. until I found OH, and then I gradually gained hope that there might be an answer to my problem.  You're right, you can't do anything that she doesn't want to do, but loving encouragement to find a new path and then standing back to let her do the walk can be very helpful.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/1/15 7:32 pm, edited 1/2/15 3:17 am - UK

If she has emotional issues about her size, she might not want to join in on online chat sites or with real groups.

i know it is such a hard thing to do ( everyone on here gets that, that's why we turned to the last resort of surgery) but I do agree with earlier posts. You are probably her best help here. Why not appeal to her to help you? Tell her YOU need to sort your own health out and need the help of all your family to move towards healthy eating? 

You can't control her eating away from home, but you can control what food comes into the home. At that level of obesity, just a shift in emphasis in the way she eats, rather then a strict diet, is going to result in weight loss. It could be done without any feeling of deprivation. 

Edited for typos

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Mary Gee
on 1/1/15 10:03 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Be careful - you're walking on a slippery slope.  You can take control of your own health issues - but you can't "fix" your daughter.  She's 17, old enough to know what's best for her - but she has to make her own decisions.  She may get resentful if you start focusing on her weight.  "I just want to help you......." may get a response of "Don't stick your nose in my business......."

Good luck to you....and I hope things work out for your daughter too.  I know you are concerned for her.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

White Dove
on 1/1/15 10:45 pm - Warren, OH

Facebook is the place for the type of support you are looking for.  If there is no current group, you can look into starting one of you own.   This is the perfect time of year when people will be searching for weight control ideas.  Let us know how it goes.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

gigemgarcia
on 1/1/15 11:03 pm
RNY on 12/08/14

I would actually not suggest this. Facebook isn't as private as you might think, and if for any reason her daughter discovered the group, I believe she would be mortified and possibly drive her further away. I know when I found out my mom was talking about my weight with other people, I felt extremely betrayed. It drove a wedge in our relationship. In fact, her constant efforts to "fix" my weight problem only worsened my food issues.

My advice, support her, but don't shame her. She knows how big she is, and you can't MAKE someone care about their weight. That is a decision she has to make.

Laura in Texas
on 1/2/15 12:13 am

Is your daughter in therapy? It sounds like she should be. Does she have issues with being adopted? Does she feel "different" and perhaps not a real part of your family? (I only mention this because you brought up adoption). This could be contributing to her weight issues.

I hope she has someone she can talk to.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."