Questions about the sleeve!

RNKrisi
on 1/1/15 1:31 am

Hi!

I am scheduled to have the sleeve done on 1.21.15,  can those of you who have had this particular surgery please tell me what your experience has been?  How much weight have you lost?  AND what foods do you NOT tolerate any more?  Can most of you guys eat red meat?  Fresh veggies like broccoli?  Pineapple?  Thanks for your help!

I am actually a nurse at a bariatric center of excellence and care for bariatric surgery patients daily, but I never get to hear about what happens long term.  I am 5ft 5inches and about 215 pounds, a BMI of just over 35, is there anyone out there who had similar numbers that could share there experience with me I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Krisi

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/1/15 6:28 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Hi Krisi

I had the sleeve a little over two years ago. I was 209 the day of surgery and 222 was my highest weight. I am now between 120 and 125 lbs and am 5 ft. I had no complications and no intolerances. I eat lots of red meat. No problems at all.

good luck with your sleeve!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Gwen M.
on 1/1/15 6:45 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You might consider checking out the VSG forums -- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/

I'm 9 months post-op and I've lost 125 pounds this year.  About 25 was pre-op due to the lifestyle modifications I started in January, the rest has been post-op.  (Woah.  I just realized, while typing this, that I've lost 100 pounds since surgery.  WOO!!)  

I can eat anything - this is one of the reasons I chose VSG actually.  I haven't had a problem with anything aside from some salmon that was overcooked and dry.  Moist foods are much easier to eat than dry ones!  I eat red meat on a regular basis - steaks, roasts, ground beef, you name it.  I eat fish, pork, chicken, etc.  Chicken breasts can be challenging sometimes because they can be dry if not prepared correctly.  

I have zero problems with veggies and fruits.  I eat broccoli (and pineapple) with some regularity.  Of course, I can't eat more than a bit or two of veggies and fruits because after I finish my 3 ounces of protein I tend to be pretty full.  

Feel free to check out my blog - I've been keeping a daily journal for about a year now.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

pharmagirl_45
on 1/1/15 8:12 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I had vsg on Jan 14th 2014 and I've lost 106 pounds and feel great.  The only food I still can't tolerate is eggs.  I can eat everything else and love steak.  I didn't eat it until about 6 months post op but I goes down fine.

It also took me about 7 months to tolerate salad and  plain water.   Now it's fine.  Every one is different.   Good luck. 

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Musicteech
on 1/1/15 10:27 am - TX
VSG on 06/17/14

I was sleeved in mid June & have lost 86 pounds.  I'm 5'8" and began at 336. After 6 months I cannot tolerate my own meatloaf that I make & super greasy hamburgers (Smashburger).  I can eat junior burgers from most fast food places with either no bun or 1/2 bun.  I can't eat too fast or allow myself to get too hungry because then I get the dumps.  Tomato skins, apple skins & grape skins won't digest for me.  I can do pickle spears & salad greens.

Highest wt 353 (Sept. 2013); surgery wt (June 17, 2014) 336; Current Wt 250.

ShawnaMC
on 1/2/15 3:40 am

I am five months out, and I haven't had any intolerances that have lasted. I tried some turkey meatballs about six weeks out and couldn't handle them (I think the binder in them is bread crumbs) and threw up immediately after eating it. I tried them again six weeks later and I was fine. I have an easier time with soft, steamed veggies than raw. Raw veggies tend to be too fibrous and make a little more work happen inside and that's not always fun. I regularly use frozen pineapple blended with almond milk and protein powder to make my own pineapple froyo. No problems ever with that.

I have lost 56 lbs since surgery, which seems slow in comparison to many, but I am loving life now. I'm 5'2" and started at 272. My biggest lesson has been that I need to eat more because I lose more when my body has more calories to burn. Otherwise it wants to hold on to the calories I've ingested, especially when I work out. It needs fuel to run.

Good luck!

Instagram