Is it normal

puppy_power7714
on 12/31/14 2:03 pm - Mount Vernon, WA

2 months after my my bypass surgery I find that if I have breakfast (usually around 8 am ) I do not feel like eating lunch of if I have lunch (usually between noon and 1 pm ) I do not feel like eating dinner. I feel full and it lasts awhile. Is that normal or is it a problem? There are even times when, after taking my morning meds that I do not feel like eating breakfast. Is that normal or is that a problem as well?

Grim_Traveller
on 12/31/14 9:00 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's normal. Most don't start to feel hunger until the 6 to 9 month mark. Take advantage of it to maximize weight loss while you can.

But.

You need a certain amount of nutrition to keep your body working well. If you don't get enough protein, for instance, your body will start breaking down muscle as a protein source. And yhe most important muscle is your heart.

So get in your necessary nutrition. It will also work better if you space it out during the day, rather than getting it all at once.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 12/31/14 10:29 pm - Warren, OH

I drank a lot of protein shakes in place of meals.  Sometimes it would take several hours to sip a protein shake.  I would keep at it just to get my protein grams in.  I have also learned to eat very small meals, what I would have called a snack before surgery. 

I haven't done the protein shakes in many years.  I do still have small meals of about 200 calories each and do that five or six times a day.   I never have gotten my hunger back so meals are something that I sometimes force myself to do to get in nourishment.

I still enjoy food, but no longer have any hunger signals, so have to remember to eat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Raze
on 12/31/14 10:36 pm

its normal imo. i am never hungry to this day. i have "an appetite" sometimes, feel "its time" to eat. but feeling physical hunger as i did before surgery is something i haven't felt since surgery