Where to begin?

Frank19
on 12/29/14 10:09 am

Hi everyone!

First off let me say that I am very glad that I discovered this site. To introduce myself, I am Frank. I live near Pittsburgh, PA and I am currently investigating Bariatric surgery, though I have a few questions. I am in between 5'9" and 5'10" and weight about 295#. I know that I am classified as very obese by my BMI, which is over 40.

I have struggled all my life with my weight except when I was in high school and played football over 14 years ago. Then I was running around chasing the football for about 3 hours a day 5 days a week and weighed about 170#. I have been called every name in the book from tubby to porker but I won't bore you with the details. I have tried gym memberships, weigh****chers, a whole variety of quirky diets, that stupid medication alli, hypnosis, and even Glucophage and victoza in order to loose weight. Every time I loose 5 pounds or so and then the weight comes back more.

My weight loss objectives are not due to vanity anymore. I am looking into bariatric surgery for health reasons. I know that my weight is affecting my health and I want to change that. I have trouble sleeping because of the beginnings of sleep apnea. I used to sleep on my back but now I have to sleep on my side. My feet, ankles, knees, and back hurt all the time, especially first thing in the morning. By  worst of all, and most embarrassing, is the shortness of breath. I get winded after a few flights of stairs and I am breathing hard after just one flight. Sometimes I get shortness of breath for no reason at all, even sitting watching a movie, and when I sit for long periods of time the area under my ribs will get sore.

But my worst fear of all is diabetes. My mother, who also has struggled with being overweight her whole life, was just diagnosed with it. Additionally I have high cholesterol, mainly due to high triglycerides and low "good" cholesterol. My doctor said to me that this combination leads to diabetes later in life and that it is not a question of if I will get it but when. I want to stop that from happening.

My goal right now is not to find a surgeon just yet. I am really looking for some support. How do I begin the process, what should I look for, how do I know if I'm a good candidate for surgery? And which surgery to pick? What are the side effects and how will I have to change my lifestyle? Really though, I just want to be able to run again... I use to run all the time, everyday, everywhere. Now I can't even jog. I apologize if this seems like a rant or if it's not appropriate for this forum. I just needed to get some of it out...

Regards and happy new year,

Frank

chris_b69
on 12/29/14 3:01 pm

I can only answer you with my experience.  ( I am 3 months out of surgery)  I will say that it is the best decision that I have made.  I started the process at 265 and was at 254 at surgery and now I am below 190.  My diabetes is gone and I am off most of my other meds.

This is not a quick fix but a tool to start your journey.  I get frustrated with food.  I try to eat what I should and sometimes the new pouch does not like what goes in.  The benefits outweigh the risks. 

My suggestion is to find a local support group and attend the meetings.  Ask questions have a notebook.  Finally research, research, research.

Congratulations you have taken the first steps in a new journey.

MickeyDee
on 12/29/14 4:26 pm

Sounds like you're an excellent candidate.  Now find a PCP who will refer you to a surgeon.  I found an endocrinologist *****commended my bariatric surgeon, and I went to his seminar.  I also found this website and read everything I could find, even the bad, scary stuff.  

For myself, I started trying various protein products, as well as changing my own eating plan to eliminate all processed white foods such as bread, potatoes, rice, pasta.  

All it takes is one step and you'll be on your way.

White Dove
on 12/29/14 6:16 pm - Warren, OH

I find it sad that in our society surgery is considered a last resort.  I dream of a time when surgery will be as routine for obesity as a cast is for a broken leg.  Surgery is just a tool that lets your body heal. 

It is not magic, but it is the best thing that we have at the moment.  You are not doing it for vanity, but it does feel wonderful to look great in smaller clothes. 

The biggest side effect is usually constipation or diarrhea.  You are changing a system that is working well and it will never work quite as well again.  Those can be managed with proper diet, and things like fiber, probiotics, Imodium, milk of magnesia, stool softeners, or other means.  You may avoid all of it, but most people have some issues. 

The big change in my lifestyle is that eating is simply something I need to remember to do.  I had RNY in 2007 and lost all of my appetite.  I enjoy food, but never feel hunger, and am satisfied with small amounts of food. 

I love being able to run again.  I have to remind myself to slow down, because it is not considered safe to run around at work or in a store.  Many times, I remind myself to slow down and walk like a normal person when my feet just want to move much faster.  It is like telling a little kid to stop running and just walk.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Raze
on 12/29/14 10:54 pm

you've had weight issues most of your life but know what it is to be normal weight and somewhat active and athletic. so you remember that, unlike myself who never had that before surgery. do you want that again? do you want what i have now, and others like me? which is what you had before. if so, research it and come to a decision and just do it. or don't do it. no one can qualify you for this but you

so far as your other questions about lifestyle, side effects, etc? its different for all. talk to some doctors and work it out for yourself. good luck :) 

Valerie G.
on 12/30/14 12:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Learn all you can about the RNY (gastric bypass), VSG (sleeve) and DS (duodenal switch) and any other variables in-between, but these are the major procedures these days. Google is a wodnerful thing for this and there are groups on facebook and yahoo, too.  Also lurk the surgery-specific boards here.  See what people are asking about, complaining about and raving about.  Look at the revisions and regrets boards out here to see what has the lowest rate of "dissatisfaction" too. 

Compare what you learn with what you know about yourself.  Some procedures (VSG and Lapband) are restriction-only.  Will eating less be all you need to lose your weight?  If not, then look at the RNY and DS for a combination of restriction and malabsorption to different degrees.  These give obesity a bigger 1-2 punch.  You can make these determinations based on your personal experience to your own dieting efforts much better than any surgeon can in a 10 minute consult.

Once you know what procedure appeals best to you, check insurance to see what's covered, then find a surgeon in your network.  If you're not going through insurance - well, that's much easier, but first steps first. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

STB
on 12/30/14 8:45 am
RNY on 07/21/14

Frank, the first step towards change is contemplation. Without that first thought that something might be able to be different change can't happen. I had RNY five months ago and have lost 82.6 pounds. The first month I was sure I had made a huge mistake but since then, I know I made an excellent choice. I live in NH so don't know of any resources in your area. Up here the Obesity Treatment Center where I went had pre-op support groups as well as a process that took almost a year to go through (monthly appointments with nutritionist or a exercise physiologist as well as a six week Lifestyle Changes class and meeting with the docs). I too was worried about diabetes because it runs in my family and I have high blood pressure. I would suggest you go online and see what some of your local hospitals have to offer. Good luck!