Sensitive Personal "woman" question for those of you post surgery!

lkmayo
on 12/29/14 5:37 am

I have the same issue.  I started at 260 and now I am at 157.  That area is smaller but still sticks out further than I would like it.  I was very fortunate and do not have skin hanging.  Mind you the skin isn't tight as I would like but it does not hang.  So I count my blessings.  I think everyone is different with the surgery.  I think my fortune has been because I have excercised, continue to make good choices with what food I decide to eat, drink lots of fluids and take my vitamins and supplements.  I do suggest if you are not happy with the skin and excess fat if it remains contact a dr. that you trust and get the surgery that you want.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/30/14 1:02 am - OH

I had this problem when I lost my weight.  Some women find that once they lose the weight there is just excess skin there that hangs down a bit, but many of us discover that some of the extra fat in that area just doesn't go away. One of my two plastic surgeons indicated that some women come to him with nothing but loose skin on their bellies but still have fat in the mons area and need a mons lift.  Unfortunately, some have so much fat left there that they also need a bit of liposuction. A Few women I know of were able to do just a bit of liposuction and didn't really need the skin rem oval.

Insurance paid for my panniculectomy, but the plastic surgeon who did that (and had agreed to do a mons lift that I would pay for out of pocket) changed his mind the morning of surgery and refused to do the mons lift. What that left me with was a flat lower belly but then a huge hanging bulge that looked like a man's "package"!  I had gone through so much to loss 175 pounds (at that point) but I still had to wear tunic length tops and baggy pants in order to cover that huge mons! I cried every morning getting dressed, so 8 weeks after my panniculectomy, I paid another surgeon to do the mons lift and my arm lift together.  (I was planning to get my arms done eventually, but not so soon.)

Mine was an extreme case -- the largest mons my plastic surgeon had ever seen! -- because I had a BMI of 57 to start with and carried most of my weight in my belly (and, unfortunately, that included in my mons). I don't like the way I look naked -- because I look like someone who lost a huge amount of weight and had surgical skin removal rather than someone who never had a weight problem --but with undies on I look fine.

Lots of women are very embarrassed about this issue (there were almost no posts about it here when I was going through it), so I have tried to be very open about my experience and I am sure many otehrs are glad you asked the question.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

anne23
on 12/31/14 5:09 am

Thank you so much for your reply.  This helps me so much.  I am horribly embarassed by this and suffer serious issues with body image because of THIS.  I think I have an extreme case as well and will likely end up paying out of pocket too.  I already wear longer tunics and loose pants because of this.  Its horrible.  I feel like I obsess over this one thing.  In fact, surgery doesnt scare me as much as having the nurse try to catherize me for surgery and being grossed out.  Thats my delay for 10 years in having this done!!!!  So, thank you so much for your reply and the information.  

emelar
on 12/30/14 2:02 am - TX

If your GYN is saying it's like a tumor, you may have one or more lipomas in that area - basically fatty tumors.  They may get smaller as you lose weight, but they won't disappear without surgical removal. 

anne23
on 12/31/14 5:12 am

Thanks to each of you for your replies.  I really appreciate the insight and information.  :)