How do you research prospective surgeons?

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/14 8:40 am - Edgewood, NM

Is there a website you can go to? I have done the Google and Bing searches, and found a website or two with listed surgeons but I have not found the reviews on the doctors' my insurance will cover. Is there a certain place to find such information online? Usually I am pretty good about finding answers via the Net but with this I cannot find more than two places with reviews on the doctors' available to perform WLS.

Kathy S.
on 12/28/14 11:20 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Lea,

We have an extension directory of surgeons here and there is a review tab.  In the upper right hand corner you will see "Find a Bariatric Surgeon.  Enter your zip code and it will bring up a list of surgeons.  You can drill it down to your surgery type if you want.  Review the list and if you find one you like, click the review tab and you can see what other member's experience was with the surgeon.

If you want us to assist you we can send you links to surgeons.  Send us the following information to [email protected]

What procedure are you interested in?   City/State and Zip code:    How far would you be willing to travel to see a surgeon?  (25 miles, 50, 100 or more?)   Insurance Company, Medicaid, Medicare or Self-Pay?

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Valerie G.
on 12/28/14 10:56 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Also check the New Mexico board out here and ask for references on surgeons you have in mind.  You can call the hospital and ask their mortality and complication rates, too. You can also check to see if there are any malpractice suits or formal complaints.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Amy K.
on 12/30/14 12:23 am - Tucson, AZ

Are you using insurance or private pay?  If insurance see who the company uses.  In my area there are only 2 surgeons that do WLS and accept my surgery, so my choices were limited.  Both surgeons are world renowned and amazing so I got very lucky.   Its quite a haul for me to drive to the appointments, but worth it. 

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2