Abdominal problems.... HELP!!

kveith
on 12/27/14 10:05 am

I had a Laproscopic Gastric Bypass eight years ago and am now experiencing problems that I have been told do not pertain to my surgery, but I am just wondering.  In early October this year (2014) I started becoming very nauseated and having severe stomach cramps whenever I ate or even smelled food.  By early November everything I ate came back up and then after all the food was gone, I would even vomit bile.  In early November my gastrointestional dr performed an EGD (upper scope) and said there was no blockage, then a CT scan was run with no problems found, then bloodwork and stool study... no problems found.  Last week an MRI was performed and still no problems found.  In the meantime the only two items that I can eat are one banana a day and a little cup of jello.  I have lost 35 lbs in six weeks and the doctors are stumped.  The surgeon that performed my gastric bypass said he may have to do exploratory surgery to see what could be wrong since he has performed every test imaginable and there is no solution.  Has anyone else ever encountered a problem like this?  Thanks in advance for any help!

White Dove
on 12/27/14 7:52 pm - Warren, OH

Getting severe cramps from the smell of food sounds like anorexia.  Living on a banana and a cup of jello would account for the weight loss.  Have you talked with a therapist? 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

kveith
on 12/28/14 10:35 am

Yes, I have wondered if that is my problem.  It seems odd that it would come on all of a sudden.  I never vomitted any after my gastric bypass.  I wonder if I need to go back on my seratonin drug that helped me with anxiety?

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/27/14 8:43 pm, edited 12/28/14 8:19 pm

You may have twisted intestines and ctscan may not show that. I had total 3 abdominal surgeries. All the tests before each one of them show "normal" results, yet during surgery doc found and fixed physical problems.

Also - maybe gall bladder -if you still have one, or SIBO, or who knows what else...

Google SIBO..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ladytazz
on 12/27/14 11:34 pm

I have heard of several post ops (myself included) that have unexplained abdominal pain that is very difficult to diagnose.  Many times it takes an exploratory laproscopy to find the cause.

In my case I had to get a CT when I was experiencing the pain that showed an intestinal blockage.  No tests before showed anything.

There is also the possibility of a Petersen's Hernia, which happens to some who've had a laproscopic surgery.

In my case it wasn't WLS in particular that caused my problems, it was the 10 or so abdominal surgeries that I've  had over the years that created a ton of adhesion's that tend to cause issues.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

kveith
on 12/28/14 10:33 am

Thanks to each of you for your messages.  I also thought about today that all of this happened to start when I was taken off of my seratonin medicince that I had taken for over 17 years.  Do you think eventhough I feel more clear-minded that ever before that my stomach is missing my anti-anxiety medicine and that is causing me to throw my food back up?

hollykim
on 12/28/14 12:10 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

it is. Definitely possible. Anxiety maniifests it self in many physical ways.