Losing too fast??

LSUgirl03
on 12/25/14 6:20 am

Had my surgery (sleeve) Nov 17, 2014. So on Monday I'll be 6 weeks out and I can finally begin exercising! I was super excited but now I'm concerned because I am down 49lbs and I'm worried it's too much weight gone too fast. Worried that starting an exercise routine will quicken the weight loss even more. Is this abnormal or am I being paranoid? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thebiggestloser
on 12/25/14 6:49 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I'm about 6 weeks out and am down just a couple more pounds than you. How much you've lost would depend on how much you need to lose - but I don't know what you weigh. My physician says I'm right on track. 

LSUgirl03
on 12/25/14 6:54 am

I started at 258lbs and down to 209 as of today. My surgeon and I set a goal/target weight for me of 150lbs. I have another appt with my surgeon on the 7th so I will definitely check with him then. But being almost half way to my goal in only 6 weeks seemed a bit extreme to me

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/25/14 4:35 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Are you around 5 ft 6? If so 150 is the top of normal BMI range for you which is why your surgeon set that as a goal probably. I think (of course you should ask your medical team and follow their advice) that if you are meeting your nutritional requirements and fluids then you are golden. You may want to ask your surgeon about the impact of faster weight loss on your gall bladder. I took Ursodiol/Actigall for six months after surgery to prevent gall stones. Seems to have worked! But I also did not drop 50 lbs in six weeks. My body was a little more resistant!

what Grim said about exercise is very true. Great for you but in terms of weight loss it won't be what breaks the bank. Its all about what you put in your mouth! But exercise is excellent for overall health so go for it when you are cleared to do so. Weight training may help you retain muscle mass which is important during weight loss especially.

i lost something like 20 lbs the first month and then it tapered down to 10, 8, 6, 4 etc the following months. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Thebiggestloser
on 12/25/14 7:17 am, edited 12/25/14 7:17 am
VSG on 11/19/14

That's good that you're seeing him soon. I would just make sure you are meeting your plans protein and fluid goals for now until you can discuss with him. 

Grim_Traveller
on 12/25/14 7:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Adding exercise will make you healthier and more fit, but it won't do much for weight loss. People think they burn far, far more calories during exercise than they actually do. Add in the exercise, and you'll have a more active future.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

poet_kelly
on 12/25/14 1:18 pm - OH

What does your surgeon say?  Is he concerned with your rate of weight loss?  Does he recommend exercising?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 12/26/14 5:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

In a couple of weeks you'll be posting about your first stall, wondering if you broke your tool.  This is perfectly normal and will have its ups and downs along the way.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Maureen H.
on 12/26/14 2:49 pm
VSG on 10/30/14

I had my VSG on 10/30, just two weeks before you and I went from 254 to 188 in 6 weeks. (I have been in a stall for about 1 week- today I am all of a sudden at 182) My surgeon wasn't worried except for my gallbladder. Keep an eye on it, any strange pains in your upper right quadrant and you need to talk to the surgeon ASAP. 

Raze
on 12/29/14 10:42 pm

you're fine, all is well. i lost 90 pounds in 90 days. if thats a problem its the kind of problem i like and i didn't even notice :)