Carbs - what do you limit yourself to per day?

Chilipepper
on 12/28/14 4:06 am
On December 28, 2014 at 10:09 AM Pacific Time, JenniPenny wrote:

My doc said to stick to about 45 gms of carbs a day and he stressed "good" carbs. Meaning carbs from peaches are better than carbs from macaroni and cheese. I don't do potatoes or bread. Most post ops shouldn't. We really should not eat anything "white"-bread, rice, crackers, etc. The carbs in that is high and there's no nutrition to balance out the fact that we're eating carbs. Find another alternative to potatoes with your meat. Meat for posties should never be eaten dry. We have to have juice, gravy, salsa, broth or something else to moisten the meat. Potatoes are a "filler food" but don't offer much else. Farther down the road you'll be glad you limited carbs now - it's not easier later and for most of us weight goes back on fast when we eat carbs. Keep reading labels until you're an expert. It's easy to plan meals around low carb and you're doing well already.

Jen 14 yrs post op RNY

Moistening the meat as necessary if you are an early post op should only be done with broth.  The key to not dealing with that is to make sure your meat is moist. Who wants to eat dried out anything?

Advising any postop, short term or long term to moisten there food with gravy is ludacris. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Mary Gee
on 12/28/14 2:41 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

My plan calls for 40 carbs - and no bread, pasta, etc.  I was eating low carb pitas, and found my weight loss slowing way down, even keeping with the 40 gram rule.  

No potato's with the meat ...... make mashed cauliflower or mash turnips -- and track you numbers on myfitnesspal.com.

Gotta play by the rules if you want to lose --  that's just the way it is.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

SWEETMEL7
on 12/28/14 3:57 am - NY

I am a little over a year from having surgery and the only carbs I eat are from fruits and vegetables.  Once in a while when  I get a craving for something sweet I use the unsweetened pistachio pudding. I make the pudding with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a 1/2 to a cup of mixed nuts and place it in the blender... this is what works for me! !! 

Chilipepper
on 12/28/14 4:08 am
On December 28, 2014 at 11:57 AM Pacific Time, SWEETMEL7 wrote:

I am a little over a year from having surgery and the only carbs I eat are from fruits and vegetables.  Once in a while when  I get a craving for something sweet I use the unsweetened pistachio pudding. I make the pudding with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a 1/2 to a cup of mixed nuts and place it in the blender... this is what works for me! !! 

Yum!  Writing that recipe down!!

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

SWEETMEL7
on 12/28/14 4:25 am - NY

It is good. My daughter (15) loves it, too.  Since surgery my taste buds changed for the better. .

poet_kelly
on 12/28/14 8:02 pm - OH

I don't count carbs.  I never have.  I limit the starchy stuff like bread and rice but I don't limit carbs.  I don't eat any meat and I rely on a lot of beans and dairy for protein, so I'm sure my carbs are above 100 every day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gram247
on 12/29/14 11:39 pm

in the 3 1/2 years since surgery, I have not counted carbs. the dietary rules I was given and
I follow are eat protein first, then veggies/salad, than anything else. no liquids for 30 min before and 30 minutes after. So far i have steadily lost a few pounds a week - total now over 180 pounds and I  had plastic surgery to remove excess skin of over 40 pounds. 

there are foods that I love but can't eat - like steak and chicken. if they are too dry,  they don't go down!

Check with your doctor or his/hers support team before you do anything you see on line. 

good luck.

Remember, you didn't put the weight on over night, it will come off and stay off at your own metabolic rate. 

Raze
on 12/29/14 11:48 pm, edited 12/29/14 11:48 pm

i don't do anything to limit carbs. seems to work out well for me as i don't gain weight. i suppose many others still need to "watch it," though. i have been fortunate in that sense. i can pretty much eat anything in that regard. i just don't gain if i don't overeat and always lost weight efficiently and with little thought or care. exercise also helped. i finished my last diet or counting anything when i had wls. nice freedom to have and am grateful for it

6-10lbs a month you are losing? i think that is great! you are already "doing better" :) 

Chilipepper
on 12/31/14 4:41 am, edited 12/31/14 4:41 am
On December 30, 2014 at 7:48 AM Pacific Time, Raze wrote:

i don't do anything to limit carbs. seems to work out well for me as i don't gain weight. i suppose many others still need to "watch it," though. i have been fortunate in that sense. i can pretty much eat anything in that regard. i just don't gain if i don't overeat and always lost weight efficiently and with little thought or care. exercise also helped. i finished my last diet or counting anything when i had wls. nice freedom to have and am grateful for it

6-10lbs a month you are losing? i think that is great! you are already "doing better" :) 

This does nothing to help an early postop. You sound like you are.bragging which if you are no****ching what you are doing you will get lax and eventually regain.  It doesn't matter when you had your origional surgery. 

Raze
on 12/31/14 5:56 am, edited 12/31/14 6:02 am

i do not know when OP had her surgery as i have not checked her profile and i do not see a surgery date listed in the upper right hand corner of her post. i do not know what surgery she had. and how is sharing my own experience bragging? i do not care what i eat because i do not eat a lot. sometimes more, sometimes less, but i have little and no chance of regaining anything because of how i live and eat. i am simply stating my own experience and figure others might have the same and can be done with counting calories and carbs. others may need to do that a lifetime. however allowing some flexibility might help a person figure out what is right for them. and i really do think she is doing great with her weight loss. if she wants to do "better" she can count carbs or do a number of things. i think she is doing well and wanted to let her know. and some times letting someone know "well i don't do that and am okay" can help them understand what they need to do, or not do themselves.

i am not a doctor or an expert. this is a message board where we share our own experience and hope it may help others in some way. i suppose if she want's expert advice OP or anyone can seek it, but i have none to offer. i can only speak of my own experience and throw it in the mix. i never "brag" about what i can or cannot eat. that would be silly. but maybe OP will think "well if he can do THAT and lose certainly i can count carbs and lose" or something like that. and make no mistake, i do "watch" what i am eating in general i simply do not count calories or carbs. i've lost "the weight" i assure you, and it is gone for good because of a number of factors

if you have better advice or direction for some people, great. but i only have what i have and it is my own experience. i cannot share anything else, but it will not stop me from sharing. 

as said i have no idea of OP's surgery or date. i just want to let her know it's OK. you may have other things to say to her and that is your business. but i am not bragging and despite what you say i am not going to regain anything, thank you. i know what i am doing in that regard 

again, not a doctor or an indian chief, here. just a guy on a message board. if people want expert opinions they can go to experts or you may have some for them. i do not. i have mere message board posts based solely on my own experience for OP and all to read. others have different experiences. hopefully the diversity can help those in search of something reach a conclusion for themselves :)