Frustrated with my weight loss early on.

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/14 1:00 pm, edited 12/19/14 1:06 pm
VSG on 11/13/14

So I had my sleeve surgery 5 weeks ago and in lost 23 pounds the first 3 weeks and now nothing the past 2 weeks. I went back to work last Friday and worked Friday and Saturday and on Sunday I had gained 5 pounds!!  I usually do retain a couple of pounds of water on my work days for some reason and down 3 pounds but what the heck?!?!  How can I gain weight when I'm eating 500-800 calories a day when I was eating at least 2000-3000 calories a day before?  I admit that I do forget to drink my protein shakes most of the time so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. I'm getting lots of fluids in and have taken milk of magnesia to help with the constipation. I'm just very very frustrated and am thinking I went through all of this for only 23 pounds!!  Anyone else have this problem early on?

Kate -True Brit
on 12/19/14 4:23 pm - UK

Please don't take this as a brush off!  But I suggest you do a board search on early stalls. That will reassure you as you will find quite literally hundreds of people asking about early stalls, two, three, four week stalls. And literally hundreds of replies saying this is totally normal. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MsBatt
on 12/19/14 11:02 pm

I admit that I do forget to drink my protein shakes most of the time so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

No, it doesn't. Getting in adequate protein doesn't make you lose weight---it keeps you healthy.We're made of mostly protein, and we require protein to repair our bodies.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/20/14 2:29 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

It's only been 5 weeks since surgery. This is major surgery & your body is in healing mode right now, so take it easy on yourself! It'll take awhile b4 your body gets its groove back, just follow your drs plan for you & you'll be fine.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Jocelyn3000
on 12/20/14 10:55 pm

Hi!

Let me tell you what is happening to you is completely normal.  It's so hard when right after surgery you first lose a ton of weight really fast to then not see the numbers go down as fast.  This is just your body readjusting and redistributing fluid.  I totally understand your frustration, I am 4 months out and the scale number moves slower but I can see the change overall.  Be patient one day you will look at yourself and it will hit you how far along you've come and you should start feeling healthier too.  Have faith & patience.  You're doing great!

Best,

Jocelyn

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/14 7:29 am
VSG on 11/13/14

Thanks everyone. Its just very frustrating to gain 5 pounds back so early and have to work to lose it again. Can't wait for the next year to go by so I can look back and see the results.