Only 1 week out since gastric bypass and already...

Kate -True Brit
on 12/22/14 6:23 pm - UK

I admit I thought this thread was a wind-up!  But having seen your responses, I can see you are genuine. Well done for taking all the criticism on board and acknowledging you were making a big mistake.  People on here sometimes come across as unkind but it is in fact the opposite! We have seen too many people post things like this and get anodyne responses saying it doesn't matter! It does matter and vets on here are really being supportive in being honest!

best wishes, this is never an easy option! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/15 5:12 pm

love the way you Brit's talk.

prism4105
on 12/23/14 5:59 am
RNY on 06/26/14

I dont care if this is a troll, this goes for each and every person who is replying on here. Listen to yourselves, you sound like a bunch of childhood bullies. How dare you all judge what this person or anyone else does. this is a sight for support and encouragement for people who have had WLS or are thinking about it. What is wrong with the world ? You should all be ashamed of yourselves What if this person is truly real and is emotionally unstable ? Reaching out for help? there is not a single one of us who has not put something in our mouths that we should not have. weather that be right after surgery or now. How dare you all speak this way to some one you know nothing about. everyone is big and bold hiding behind their computer. Stop and think about what you are saying. I pray that if you are a real person you find the support and help you need to get through this journey it is difficult and worth every bit of the hills and valleys to find peace and happiness in yourself. Merry Christmas to all of you even the judgmental ones throwing stones at glass houses. 

MsBatt
on 12/23/14 8:55 am

Where, pray tell, is the bullying in telling someone to seek therapy, when she admits that she' has an unhealthy relationship with food???

MegZorar
on 12/23/14 10:42 am
On December 23, 2014 at 1:59 PM Pacific Time, prism4105 wrote:

I dont care if this is a troll, this goes for each and every person who is replying on here. Listen to yourselves, you sound like a bunch of childhood bullies. How dare you all judge what this person or anyone else does. this is a sight for support and encouragement for people who have had WLS or are thinking about it. What is wrong with the world ? You should all be ashamed of yourselves What if this person is truly real and is emotionally unstable ? Reaching out for help? there is not a single one of us who has not put something in our mouths that we should not have. weather that be right after surgery or now. How dare you all speak this way to some one you know nothing about. everyone is big and bold hiding behind their computer. Stop and think about what you are saying. I pray that if you are a real person you find the support and help you need to get through this journey it is difficult and worth every bit of the hills and valleys to find peace and happiness in yourself. Merry Christmas to all of you even the judgmental ones throwing stones at glass houses. 

We must be kind to each other. And yes, I agree that this should be a safe place to express our concerns, triumphs, fears, questions without fear of being insulted or humiliated. 

HOWEVER, this site is a tremendous resource for many of us. Before I ever posted a word or signed up, I visited several times a day to learn from other people, get inspiration and a general sense of what to expect with this life-changing and drastic decision.

This is NOT a place for people to post misinformation and pranks. When I come here, I Google the new terms I see posted so that I can learn as much as possible. I check out the food recommendations, read the research papers and ask my doctors for answers to some of the great questions posted here. I'm less than five months into this process (surgery) and have SO MUCH to learn. Could you imagine what it'd mean for people like me if others are here posting completely false information on purpose?

Some sites are great for snark, sarcasm and doses of crazy.This one does not lend itself to that. For many of us, it's a resource, a community, a tool to keep ourselves accountable. The idea that someone would deliberately troll or post false info here goes against the entire spirit of OH.

Yes, we must be kind to each other. Part of that kindness involves not going out of your way to upset or derail the countless other people who post here in good faith. 

I'm not saying the original poster meant to deceive the group, but it did read that way at first. And it was that--not that a member slipped up--that drew the strong responses. But the lesson for me might be to give every poster the benefit of the doubt going forward. 

Kate -True Brit
on 12/24/14 2:15 am - UK

You are wrong.  If this post is genuine, and I now believe it is, the poster needs to be told that some behaviours are not only going to derail weight loss, they are threatening life. 

If you read the whole thread, you will see the poster has actually agreed that replies are correct, accepted a need to change. This makes the poster a strong person, able to accept they have made a mistake and to put it right, I admire that. The chances of success are greatly improved. 

What should respondents have said? It doesn't matter, carry on as you are! No, people care. People express worries. And in this case the original poster has listened. 

Kate -True Brit
on 12/24/14 7:27 pm - UK

And to add to my previous reply to you. You have totally confused two issues; Weight loss and physical safety. 

The majority of us probably have "put the wrong things in our mouths".  But the vast majority of us, the successful vets, followed our post-op instructions to the letter. My surgery was almost nine years ago and I have certainly eaten fattening foods. But never once, not one single time, have I gone against an instruction given to me by my doctor for medical reasons connected with my surgery. 

This poster did not just choose to eat junk food, she chose to break a clear instruction given by her doctor. (I think it is "she" not "he"). 

The poster has agreed! She has taken this on board. She understands our concerns. She HAS found the support you pray she gets -from us! Nothing practical from you! 

i probably shouldn't have come back on this, but your response was holier than thou! And a Christmas drink (fattening maybe, not a weight loss-choice but not a safety issue) may have loosened my inhibitions!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/26/14 6:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

>> Everyone is big and bold behind their computer.

Including posters (like you) who sound like bullies throwing tantrums trying decide to dictate what should and should not be posted? Watch your own pile of rocks, friend.

>> What is wrong with the world?

If people trying to offer insight based on the stories of many WLS patients who've come before is wrong, then I have no interest in being right.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

lilnikki
on 12/26/14 3:38 pm - Preston, WA

You know what Prism4105?  Thank you very much for your honest post.  There were many types of responses, but for the first couple of days, they were mainly negative.  I'm not referring to the unpleasant, albeit constructive comments; I'm referring to the 100% negative comments.  I understand that my post seemed troll-ish and that's why I had those comments, however, I almost closed my account here because of all the negativity.  Anyway, more thoughtful comments came in and that has kept me here continuing to read.  I appreciate those that post real concern, and the lesser, those posts that I have to wade through the ugly to get to the valuable information.  I'm on here because of  the nuggets of information, the reminder of the seriousness of veering off the path and the alternative choices we have to help us get through a craving, etc...  all help me move forward from some bad choices.  Thank you for your support Prism4105!!!

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, of course.  So if you (general you) come forward with a difficult admission, which would you rather hear, YOU'RE DOOMED!!!  Or what you're doing is so dangerous, here's why...???  If it's you, you'd opt for the reply that will give you the support and advice that you need without the all the superfluous negativity and cheap shots.  And for the guy that said not all messages are given with a coddling pat on the back, do you not read?  I've said thanks to many who weren't pampering in their response. 

lexxiblue
on 12/23/14 7:27 pm
RNY on 01/11/12

hi lilnikki

gotta give you credit for your "brave" or some would say "stupid" post! of course you must have thought you'd get a lot of negative feedback! some of us take a year or so to go thru the "system" to even get approval for surgery! some of us have to lose lots some lose less than 100 lbs. it's hard work... but to screw up your GIFT not a magic pill is totally stupid and not sure where you are but don't you americans have to pay for your surgery? and like the poster said... go to emerg and have a non bariatric doctor look at you.. they wouldn't have a clue what to do or how to relieve your pain! if you're tempted now.. so early out.. you're doomed to fail.. and sorry but this is JUST MY OPINION, take it for what it's worth.. you're going to have bigger issues... get your head straight.. just say no... it's hard and will get harder once you're given all your "normal" foods back.. or part of them! good luck to you.. and yes not everyone dumps.. not even on sugar.. and trust me ... you don't want to depend on dumping to make your surgery work! it's very painful!

good luck!