HELP, Trouble getting enough water and fluids

tanyak1971
on 12/20/14 11:48 pm - Houston, PA

I am in my second week of phase 2 puree, had a set back with dehydration, ended up in hospital got knocked back to phase 1 for two days and back on phase 2 again.  My problem is I feel full all the time, even if I don't eat or drink for hours.  I am fighting nausea constantely and have medication for it.  Is anyone else having trouble with the fluids, how do you get 64 oz in???? I am lucky if I get 30 a day and afraid I will end up in hospital once a week at this rate.  Looking for suggestions and how your scheduling your vitamins/food and hydrations.  Also, protein drinks are not sitting well with my stomach :(  Any suggestions for phase 2 the baby food consitancy is a REAL turn off for me.

Kathy S.
on 12/21/14 12:04 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Tanyak

We are sorry to hear you are having such a hard time.  This can be tough at first.  The only thing that worked for me was I had my water bottle in my hands 24/7.  If I had it in hand or in my purse or next to me at all times I would sip, sip, sip.  My kids thought I was an animal with all the sipping noises.   Try it and we hope you feel better soon.

Hang in there, it does get better with each passing day. I had complications and the first 3 months I thought I must have been out of my mind, but so grateful now that I did 

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Grim_Traveller
on 12/21/14 1:00 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Like Kathy said, sip, sip sip. It's no****er, it's medicine. You may not be thirsty, it may not be enjoyable, but it is 100 percent necessary. Try hot liquids, try cold. Do whatever you need to. Dehydration is 100 percent avoidable. I hate to sound harsh, but you just need to do it, one way or another.

Eeerything gets better, a little bit, every day. Pretty soon you won't even remember any of this. In the mean time, just drink. Don't make us come over there.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gwen M.
on 12/21/14 1:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

When I was recovering, I made sipping my job.  So I worked on it all day.  And at some point I just said, "suck it up, this is what you signed up for and this is what you must do to heal."  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NateH
on 12/21/14 1:24 am
VSG on 09/26/14

Take small sips, but constantly sip. ALWAYS have water with you. If it's been 2 minutes since you sipped, it's been too long. Try room temperature, I found too cold was hard for me but room temp went right in. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

lo_ri_p
on 12/21/14 1:29 am - Ocala, FL

I am 3 weeks out.  I know how you feel.  It is getting a little better.  I have not had much trouble with nausea but my stomach would hurt trying to drink too much at one time.  And I also had trouble getting in the supplements.  I also worry about getting in the amount of protein I need to have.  I have been spicing up the baby food a little. That has helped the taste. Have you tried cream soups with skim milk or water.  If they have chunks you can strain them.  PS I had to see my doctor for constipation due to poor hydration.  The key is to constantly have a drink with you, miralax if necessary, and walking.  Good luck and I hope I helped.

poet_kelly
on 12/21/14 1:57 am - OH

You may be nauseous because you are dehydrated.  Drink anyway.  Even if you feel full, drink anyway.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Han Shot First
on 12/21/14 3:14 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I had real problems getting it in at first also.  Sip, sip, sip is the best advice, but for me, I couldn't consistently get all the fluids until I started using a straw.  You may be a little too early for that:  check with your doctor.  

As for your protein drinks, try different kinds.  It seems most people can find one they can at least tolerate.  If you don't like powders, try pre-made, or vice versa.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

JenniPenny
on 12/21/14 6:18 am - MN

The kicker  to dehydration is you feel nauseated so don't drink,not drinking makes you nauseaus and the circle starts over again. force the water down.Ihad to make myself drink one bottle of water before I was allowed breakfast. Had to have another bottle down before I got to work. Another bottle down in order to allow myself to eat lunch, antother bottle during the afternoon, and one after dinner. It gets easier and once you rehydrate you'll feel amazing. No more  nausea and  over full feeling. You need the water to lose, clean out your system and flush your cells. You won't lose or feel good until you're well hydrated. Force the liquids,  water at this point is more

important than anything. I did vitamins in the morning. No water for an hour. Then a bottle then breakfast, Bottle an hour later, sometimes two then lunch. Calcium at lunchtime and no drink for an hour after  eating. water throughout the afternoon, calcium with dinner, more water later, calcium at night no drinking after that. Work up to 64 ozs per day-it can be done.It does take a while but you can do it. You'll feel so much better  when you have enough water in you. trust me.

Jen 14 yrs post op rNY

Valerie G.
on 12/21/14 10:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I can attest that it is indeed a full time job.  The trick is drinking because your body needs it instead of waiting until you're thirsty, because your body sucks at giving the right signals for a while.  I found something that didn't suck (because little was actually pleasurable) and I had a 64oz cup full of it.  I carried that cup everywhere and took a sip whenever I thought of it - I took a sip before I did anyting.  I took another sip after I did it.  I took a sip for every tv commercial, every person in the room and every cussword I heard.  I made up drinking games until I could get it in without so much work. 

You know now that your body doesn't accept excuses well, so figure out what works and just do it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes