A little concerned.

Zonechef
on 12/17/14 10:15 am
RNY on 12/03/14

Hi all. I am 2 weeks post op today and a little concerned on lack of loss. I lost a lot of weight in the 3 months pre-op using South Beach as recommended by my nutritionist. I am 56 yo man I went from 294 to 250 (down 44 lbs) between Sept 3 and my RNY on Dec 3rd. Since my surgery 2 weeks ago I have only lost another 7 lbs down to 243 (or 51 lbs. down total). I am eating protein first, and almost exclusively getting plenty of walking in and sipping all day so that I am getting my fluids and protein regularly. Not sure why I am not losing like many others. I see so many losing so much during the initial months. Could this initial stall be due to the pre-surgery weight loss. Any one else's experiences similar to mine?? Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 12/17/14 11:50 am - OH

Half a pound a day seems pretty good to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

56sunShine14
on 12/17/14 9:59 pm, edited 12/17/14 9:59 pm

Every time I have lost weight in the past, I hit a stall at exactly 44-45lbs. But you are doing well, don't worry.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/17/14 10:07 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

What you are describing is completely normal.  Please don't compare yourself to other people.  It does nothing beneficial as you really don't know if they started way heavier, are including pre-op loss, etc -- and frankly, speed doesn't determine success.  

Take a look at how much weight I have lost in the last 11 months.  Guess how much I lost in the first 2 weeks?  Eight pounds.    Remember, your body is recovering from major surgery.  You seem to be doing wonderfully.  Follow your plan, you aren't going to have the same experience you had "dieting" before surgery if you stay on plan.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Zonechef
on 12/18/14 1:13 am
RNY on 12/03/14

Wow very well explained K.W. Thank you!! Your message is clear- "All cases are unique. Follow the plan and the results will take care of themselves." Much appreciated!

Grim_Traveller
on 12/18/14 1:31 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Where is throat-punching Kat, and what have you done to her?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/18/14 4:00 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I save throat punching for people who deserve it.   I didn't see anything about him eating popcorn and chinese take-out the first week post-op, so a kinder and gentler Kat came out to play.  =^..^=

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

TexasLady52
on 12/17/14 10:50 pm
Revision on 06/10/14

I use to let it drive me insane when I got on here and saw how much everyone else was losing.  I could not figure out what I was doing wrong and felt I was going to be a failure again.  I finally quit letting it get to me.  I am different.  I am older....I don't have a thyroid...I have bad knees, but hey I am losing and not gaining.  I have major stalls but I lose inches during that time!  My body is doing what It wants to do....I just have to accept it and be thankful.  It may be a long journey with bumps in the road but at least I am on a journey....

MegZorar
on 12/18/14 8:11 am

Great attitude. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/14 8:20 am

Yup.  3 months out and eating 600 to 700 calories per day. I have never eaten more than 800 calories per day. Exercising, and carbs under 50.......I am not a meat eater and so wish that vegis and yogurt didn't have carbs.  I am losing so slowly that I am going to my PCP Monday (I am hypothyroid and it is being regulated by meds) to ask that they up my meds.  They did offer to do this to help me lose weight before I had the gastric sleeve in September.  Sometimes I want to take the scale into a field and fling it as far as I can throw it.