Not lossing any weight for the past 2 months

Earthgirl1914
on 12/19/14 10:41 pm - GA

Thanks so much for this excellent article! Loved the sarcasm! LOL I have also plateaued for the last several months.  This article has helped me to re-think what I am eating!

Earthgirl1914

MaryEllen OntheEastCoast
on 12/18/14 6:19 am - CT

Thank you Grim for this article.  I have been unfortunately one of those people who have never accepted that it is simply calories in vs. calories out, thinking low carb was the secret, or low fat was the secret.  Also the video was VERY educational.

rezilliance
on 12/18/14 6:28 am
VSG on 06/03/14

I concur! Same deal for me... I'm down almost 80 lbs since surgery on June 3, and I've gotten "stuck" in a 10-pound range twice now. It's definitely due to increased calories. 800 to 900 cal is my goal for 6 months post-op, 40g of carbs, 70 to 100g of protein. I'm finding it kind of frightening how much I can eat even though I'm only 6 months out. VSG is not a fix-all, that's for sure. There is still a lot of diligence required on our part. But yes, 1000 to 1200 cal is definitely maintenance range.

Age: 38 | Height: 5'5.5" | Surgery Date: June 3, 2014 | VSG | HW: 380 | SW: 340 | CW: 237 | GW: 168

fran2014
on 12/18/14 7:25 am - brooklin, Canada

I feel sad that I wasted so much time and didn't know that I was doing it wrong. Starting tomorrow I'm back on 600-800 cal and no carbs. Thank you all for the feed back you have all been helpful.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/18/14 12:05 pm - OH

It's very unlikely that being hyperthyroid is affecting your weight loss. Unless your medication levels are inadequate and your thyroid levels are significantly off – – in which case you would be experiencing all sorts of other hypothyroid symptoms – – it isn't preventing your weight loss.  While significantly high or low thyroid levels definitely do cause metabolic changes, slight ones don't.

As the others have said, the carbs are almost certainly the culprit.  I am concerned that you are less than 9 months out from one of the best weight loss tools that is available but you are going to start yet another diet in January instead of sticking to the high protein, limited carb (NOT no carb) diet that you need for the rest of your life to maintain your weight. Your body (your brain, especially) needs some carbs in order to function properly, and not all carbs are bad.  Many sources of protein also have carbs( all dairy products (especially Greek yogurt) and beans, for example).

Let me ask you: how effective was the 21 day no-carb diet (or the grapefruit diet or whatever) in the past?  Well, guess what?  It won't be any more effective now.  That only will it not be effective, but what it IS going to do is reinforce the dieting mentality that failed so many of us for so many years: diet, feel deprived, break the diet, eat too much of the things you were deprived of, and then regain the weight. Getting serious about the high protein, limited carb eating plan, however, will reinforce the eating behaviors that you need if you're going to be successful long-term.

I'll be straight up honest: if you're having trouble controlling the carbs now at just over six months out, you're going to really struggle long term. This is something that you need to get under control ASAP. I know that trying to "diet" over the Christmas holiday is difficult, but guess what... You are going to have to learn to control your eating for every Christmas for the rest of your life, so you might as well start now (because, theoretically at least, your motivation is higher now than it is going to be farther down the road). If you put off making changes to what you're eating for another two weeks, all that does is reinforce the old holiday behavior habits AND the old "I'll get serious about my diet next week/next month/ after the holiday" deal making that also kept us obese for so many years. The LAST thing you want to do at less than a year out is reinforce old habits!  Those habits are going to be the only thing standing between you and regain down the road.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/19/14 8:34 pm

I had RNY ...6+ years ago. I may gain weight of i am eating lots of carbs even if my calories are super low- 1000 or...but low carbs - not only i can eat that and loose, but i am also not hungry as much. When doing low carbs i have to eat more to maintain. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."