Review of my first Dr. Visit

shakeitoff
on 12/14/14 1:25 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I met with my Dr. Trace Curry Friday in Dayton, Ohio.  He reminds me of Ted Koppel the news anchor.  lol  Says I need to drop 15 pounds before they will schedule surgery and another 20lbs before the surgery.  So I am on a 1000 calorie diet.  Which so far much to my surprise is not a problem.  They have a great software program to help track food, sleep, exercise & moods.  I am also on Adepex  ($25 for month without insurance)I believe it is for the 4 weeks till I go back on January 16, 2015.  I have to monitor my BP daily with the Adepex.  I bought a ReliOn brand  BP machine and I can't say I am happy with it.  Very inconsistent.  Does any one have a suggestion?  I  bought a new digital floor bathroom scale and it varies a lot too. So I ordered a physicians scale hoping it will be more accurate and constant.  To finish off my spending spree I invested in a Fit*****arge to help track my physical activity.    I also met with the nutritionist and the psychologist.  I feel that all went well.  Aiming for February surgery date.  I'm feeling good about it all.  Luckily I have my husbands, kids , brother and mom's support.  My biggest shock from the appointment was I told them I weighed 350  I actually weighed 387 on their scale.  If my crazy scale is correct I'm already down to 381.

I have to remember " Inch by inch everything is a cinch!"

Stacy B.
on 12/14/14 2:19 am - Latty, OH
with

Good Luck!!! You will get there im sure! I went to see my dr in Bowling Green a few weeks ago, and they have me on a no carbonation, no sugar diet, and no caffeine .  i haven't really lost anything yet but still working on it.  you take care of yourself and keep us posted!!!

shakeitoff
on 12/14/14 2:29 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Nice to hear of someone so close.  (I'm in Wapakoneta)  She suggested no caffeine and so far I haven't had any.  I started weaning myself off long ago.  But I still here the rootbeer and Dt Mt dew a calling. 

Kate -True Brit
on 12/14/14 3:21 am - UK

Dr Curry used to spend a great deal of time supporting people on OH by answering their questions and both he and his wife had lap bands so he really understood how his patients feel. Which surgery are you having? 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

shakeitoff
on 12/14/14 3:59 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I plan to have Gastric Sleeve.  He agreed.  I know Dr. Curry had the band I didn't know his wife did too.  They seems to have it all together.  Which is good because most of the time I don't.

Kate -True Brit
on 12/14/14 4:31 am - UK

He seemed a nice guy!  OK so being on here got his name known but he spent a lot of time answering questions from people who had already had surgery with other doctors. He stopped about the time OH became a rather anti-band board. Assume his band is still working for him as he told you he had one? 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

shakeitoff
on 12/14/14 5:18 am
VSG on 03/09/15

No he didn't mention he had one.  I read it on his website.  He has places on his website you can ask him questions and from what I hear he replies pretty quick. He was thin.  Probably thinnest Dr I have ever been too.  I usually have these 200lb plus Dr telling me to lose weight when they are heavy themselves.  I think they should practice what they preach.

kathkeb
on 12/14/14 5:32 am

I understand what you are saying, but I was more offended by a PCP who stood by and watched me gain 100 pounds in 8 years and never once mentioned my weight gain, possible because he was overweight himself.

I fired him after my WLS.

Kath

kathkeb
on 12/14/14 5:33 am

Welcome,

Pas far as your recent purchases, if the BP monitor is inconsistent, you might think about getting your money back and returning it.

If you leave your home daily, you can also stop by any pharmacy for a free BP check (I can't throw a rock in Tucson without hitting a Walgreens or CVS or grocery store with a pharmacy and they all advertise that they BP check for free).

Many people toss their home scales and only weigh at the doctors office.

Personally, I like to weight at home .... It doesn't matter if it is different from the docs.  Get weighted at the doctors office, come home and re-weigh and note the difference .... As long as your scale is placed on a firm, flat surface, it should be consistent with itself .... And you will know that it varies from the doctor by 'x' number of pounds.

Kath

shakeitoff
on 12/14/14 10:22 pm
VSG on 03/09/15

Thank you kathkeb for your reply :)  I live on a farm so I am not near the pharmacys.  The Dr. suggested that.  I found out a friend has a machine they think is reliable so we are going to get together and compare numbers.

Hopefully the new scale I ordered if better.  I can't wait a month to see how much I lost.  I'd go crazy.  lol    I need to see results!  I have the scale on a flat surface and everything is per instructions.  Thank you for your suggestions.