First Steps! (VSG Pre-Op)

lpshanley
on 12/16/14 5:49 am

Hey everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself and say how excited I am to be on this journey. I might decide to do a vlog but I am still unsure.

Anyhow, a bit about myself. I am 24 years old and was told when I was 20-21 I was in the morbid obesity category. My all time high weight at this point was 396 lbs and needless to say I decided to make some life changes. Today I am currently at about 355 lbs which is up from 325 lbs not all that long ago. I have been over 300 lbs for the last 4 years give or take a few months. I began this journey a few years ago when a surgery was recommended to me the first time. I told myself that I don't need the surgery and that I would just loose the weight naturally... then I gained almost another 100 pounds. I'm sure a number of us have been there which ultimately, in our own time frames, led to us arriving here.

Currently I have undergone my required information session, the "fun" group thingy, and I have had my insurance evaluated and found that through my new job I will be able to have my operation and that I will finally be able to get my life back. I have my first appointment with the surgeon and the dietitian on 1/5/15! Wish me luck for that :-)

I was curious if you guy have any suggestions of things that I might want to discuss with my surgeon prior to my operation.

Last thing I have to say is I have spent the last 3 years preparing myself for this and I am very ready!!! You guys, youtube, and other forums like this have been a HUGE influence on my very positive outlook towards this and really towards life post-op. Thank you very much for making these communities what they are today its because of people like you I have the knowledge and the confidence to know I can succeed. Thank you very much for just being you :-)  

melody S.
on 12/16/14 6:15 am - Morgantown, WV

Congratulations on taking this first step! When I spoke to my surgeon for the first time, we discussed what would be a reasonable goal weight. So that's something for you to think about. We also discussed where the surgery would take place, what type of surgery, including if it would be lap or open, and how long to expect to stay in hospital. I also asked him about his success rate. I'm sure others will have suggestions for you, as well. Write them down, because if you don't, I guarantee that you will be so nervous that you will forget some. Good luck!

There are seven days in a week and "some day" is not one of them.

Gwen M.
on 12/16/14 8:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome and congrats on taking the first steps!  Super exciting.  

You might want to check out the VSG specific forums -- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/

As for things to ask your surgeon - I kept a text file on my desktop and whenever I thought of a question I added it to the file and then printed it out when I went to see the surgeon :)  Otherwise I'd forget the questions I wanted to ask!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

lpshanley
on 12/16/14 10:44 am

Thank you both for your replies I'm swimming in my head right now it's a lot to take in but it's all very exciting at the same time :) I'll be writing my questions as they occur to me :)