Don't get it???? Extremely frustrated now!

Willie H.
on 12/16/14 6:17 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thank you. That's a good idea to check my measurements. re most people less than 6 months at only about 600-800 calories? That seems extremely low for a guy 280 lbs who exercises? I'll speak with my Dr.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Gwen M.
on 12/16/14 8:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm a female who exercises 13+ hours a week, and my caloric intake is definitely under 1000/day.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/16/14 6:20 am
On December 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM Pacific Time, Willie H. wrote:

I'm still in a stall-going on 6 weeks! Started eating under 1000 calories, more protein, less carbs, more fluid and still exercising. Not only have I not lost weight I've gained a pound! Good thing I get to see my surgeon on Friday so I'll go over things with him. Just saw my Nutritionist last Friday and we went over my diet and said I did need to eat less carbs and take in more fluid.. But what I don't understand is this?; On previous diets-such as WW's Nutri-system, Jenny Craig, Atkins, etc.. I was able to eat 1600-1800 calories per day and I would lose close to 2 lbs a week-of course along with exercise. Now, I'm not able to eat more than 1200 calories per day even if I tried yet for 6 weeks NO WEIGHT LOST!?? I don't understand this, am I missing something? how could I lose weight ieating 1600-1800 calories daily yet cannot lost weight taking in only 850-1200 calories daily? Yes, on those other diets I eventually always gained the weight back but there was a constant weight lost week to week when on diet with 1800 calories taken in?  Now....I just don't get it. Does not make sense to me. Does this tool (Sleeve) somehow lower your maximum calorie allowance? That is scary.  JUST DON'T GET IT! Very Frustrating. How can a 280 pound guy not lose weight or actually gain weight on just 850-1200 calories a day? Even if I ate 1200 calories a day and exercise 4 days a week I should not GAIN weight, I should just lose it slower, maybe a 1/2 lb a week or 1 lb a month but not gain-a 280 lb man eating less than 1200 calories daily!? How about those who DO NOT exercise? And no I am NOT taking in secret calories or drinking in calories. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!

aren't we hormonal today?  bless your heart....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Willie H.
on 12/16/14 6:28 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Yea, guess I am pretty grumpy. Sorry

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/16/14 6:47 am

we've all been there.....I am still there some days...lol.

it gets better... I promised... if you married- remind her that she goes through PMS and you still love her after that... and hopefully she can relate to what you are going through.... if not - and she is PMSing right now, run and hide

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Belle Ink
on 12/16/14 6:26 am

That does seem like a long stall and it would drive me nuts, too. I think the best advice is to talk to your dr, he will hopefully have the best insight to your issue. Anyway, I am not that far out, so I don't have any wise words, just wanted to offer some moral support. The only thing I can say to consider, would be changing up your exercise routine, try "confusing" your body. I have read about muscle memory, when we get into a routine with our workouts and they aren't as beneficial, also likewise with food, if you eat pretty much the same things regularly, break it up some.

Wish the best for you!

Willie H.
on 12/16/14 6:40 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Good thoughts. I'll try that. I usually do cardio first but my Nutritionist says it is best to do strength and resistant training first and then cardio. This is a journey, lots of pits and stops, curves and turn. Appreciate all the help. I'm not a "****", just having a bad, discouraging and frustrating day so I'm a little snippy. Sorry if I appeared unappreciative to any.

White Dove
on 12/16/14 6:32 am - Warren, OH

I have to cut down to 900 calories a day to lose a pound a week.  Surgery definitely lowered my metabolism.  Before surgery I would lose be able to lose five pounds a week on 900 calories.

Many people who are successful with the sleeve report being at 800 calories a day. 

There are metabolic changes and I am not sure anyone really knows yet exactly what happens to people following the sleeve surgery.  This will be a good question to discuss with your doctor.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Willie H.
on 12/16/14 6:36 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thanks. I completely forgot about the metabolism slow down. So wouldn't there come a point where 800 calories would retard the weight lost and you would have to go to 600, then possibly 400? I guess I really have to look into my nutrition and diet??

White Dove
on 12/16/14 6:54 am - Warren, OH

I leveled off at 136 pounds and 1400 calories a day maintains that at a little over seven years out from RNY.  I think you are just stalled and will pick up again soon.  During the losing phase I just concentrated on protein and daily exercise and the weight came off.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends