Blood sugar levels

mike324-190
on 12/15/14 11:49 pm
RNY on 12/30/14

I am so happy to report that since I started my liquid diet, my blood sugar levels have not been above 135 and over the last 4 or 5 days it has been at or below 109. I am still on Metformin, but my levels were always in the 150-180 range in the morning. I just had blood work this morning. I am anxious to see my A1C and cholesterol numbers too. I bet it is lower than ever. I am trying not to get my hopes up too high though, because I don't want to be too disappointed, if they don't come back as good as I hope they will.

These are my fasting numbers. During the day before meals it has been running in the 90s.

Does this sound like I have a high likelihood of not having to take the metformin post op? I really hope so, because I hate the way it makes me feel.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/16/14 12:36 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Not sure what surgery you're having -- so I can't predict. But, my blood sugar was much the same on the pre-op diet.  I had been on insulin and Metformin. Within a week of surgery, I was on neither.  My last A1c was 4.2.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

mike324-190
on 12/16/14 12:45 am
RNY on 12/30/14

I'm having the RNY on the 30th of this month. 4.2 is awesome, mine has been fluctuating between 6.2 - 6.8. Was 8.9 when diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 6 years ago.

Han Shot First
on 12/16/14 12:54 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

It sounds like you have a pretty good chance.  My levels were up around 180 before surgery, and they didn't drop nearly that much on the liquid diet.  Good luck!

--

150 lost and maintaining!

kellybelly333
on 12/16/14 1:03 am - Toronto, Canada

Everyone is different, and so is everyone's doctor. I walked out of the hospital never taking Metformin again...almost four years ago. I hope that can happen to you. I know several who had to take theirs for awhile (one person was taken off it after a year out), but I know many people who didn't have to take it again. I know of two people *****gained after 5 years out, and are back on it. Both had poor eating habits, along with zero exercise. I'm sure that attributed to going back on the meds.

Good luck, and I bet your numbers will get to normal! It's keeping them that way, that can be the challenge! 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Grim_Traveller
on 12/16/14 1:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Your A1C is an average for about the last 90 days, so it might have dropped a little, but not a lot. 

I was off metformin immediately after surgery, and my fasting blood sugars were in the 80s and 90s. My last A1C was 4.8. It seems almost too good to be true.

People think that WLS is all about forcing you to eat less. It does, but there are fundamental metabolic and endocrine changes that are much, much more important.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mike324-190
on 12/16/14 1:14 am
RNY on 12/30/14

I completely agree. I have been on and off a liquid diet for almost 3 months now. Which is why I have lost 32lbs before surgery. I had to start the liquid diet due to other issues with my heart. I go into a-fib every time I eat a regular sized meal. So I am hoping I will see a marked change in A1C.  I guess I should have been more clear and gave more details. Sorry about that.

Cathy W.
on 12/16/14 2:26 am

I had RNY in 2001 and was on diabetes meds for about two years before I had WLS.  The day after my surgery, I was able to stop all diabetes meds and my A1C has been normal ever since. 

No way to predict how it will be for you, however, with what you describe, it sure seems there's a high probability. 

Congrats to you for the progress you've made already.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Qajohn
on 12/16/14 2:35 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

When I started the liquid diet, my A1c hovered around 7.5 to 8 (with a high of 11 once). My fasting blood glucose was typically around 150 - 170. I was taking three meds (metformin, Invokana and another I can't remember). The day of surgery I stopped all three, and my last A1c was 4.5. My fasting blood glucose is around 85. 

Everyone is different, and I am sure that the surgery was not a total silver bullet for diabetes, but I am very happy with the results so far. With a better diet and excersize going forward I'm hoping to never go back to these meds. 

melody S.
on 12/16/14 6:08 am - Morgantown, WV

I'm pre-op, finishing up my evals, but two months ago I switched from my usual breakfast of a large bowl of cereal to a protein shake. My blood sugar has improved so much that I am taking markedly lower doses of insulin, and my A1C has dropped from 7.4 to 6.2. If I get those results from decreasing calories and taking in more protein from one meal, I'm excited to know what will happen after my surgery. My blood sugar now averages around 95, with my morning fasting level around 105. It's wonderful.

There are seven days in a week and "some day" is not one of them.