Skin flap

mike324-190
on 12/14/14 1:51 pm
RNY on 12/30/14

Is this really what it's going to look like?

Skin flap scene from the movie Click 

I saw this for the first time last night and OMG! Not sure what to think.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/14/14 2:45 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Depends on how much weight you lose and on your age, skin quality etc., but yeah, mine was smaller but pretty much the idea! Gross! Thank God for plastics!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Grim_Traveller
on 12/14/14 6:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Everyone has extra skin. Nothing you can do will change it, except plastic surgery. I have a little, but nothing like that video. I know others that have a lot more skin than I do, but only lost half as much.

I know a few people that put off surgery due to fears of excess skin or losing some hair. But believe me, having some excess skin is better than dying of a heart attack, or living with diabetes, neuropathy, poor circulation, immobility, arthritis, etc, etc, etc.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 12/14/14 6:59 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

I think whatever I end up with is better then what I have going on right now..I initially went for the wl consult because I have a hernia the size of my head.. they won't try repair it again until I lose weight. In addition, my knees hurt, my back aches, my weight pulls on the hernia making it difficult to do anything..  but, I also I found out when I went in for the wls consult  my blood pressure was high, so they put me on blood pressure medication and my blood work showed I was an out of control diabetic , my A1C was 14.. FOURTEEN and the average is 6! scared the crap outta me.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/15/14 12:25 am - OH

Yeah, unfortunately, if you lose a lot of weight and you carried a lot of it in your belly, that is pretty accurate.  Most people who end up with a large apron of skin like that already have an overhang of the skin with the fat in it.  If your belly doesn't already hang down, it probably won't be as bad.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

56sunShine14
on 12/15/14 12:52 am

HaHa!!!  The scene really is funny.  But, I would rather have that than the belly o fat I have right now!  The skin can be removed.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

mike324-190
on 12/15/14 11:04 am
RNY on 12/30/14

All of you have made very good points. I wouldn't let that stop me, I just wanted to know how much Adam Sandler exaggerated. If mine could get that way, then I want to know what to expect. How much does plastic surgery to remove that cost? I better start saving now just in case, then if it isn't bad, I'll take a vacation somewhere nice, maybe a salmon fishing trip to Alaska would be nice.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/15/14 11:21 am - OH

If the apron of skin you have is that large, you will likely have problems with rashes underneath it (since no air can get to it, it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria) and your insurance may very well pay the cost of the panniculectomy to have the extra skin removed.  

The cost for plastic surgery procedures varies widely by geographic location and even from surgeon to surgeon in the same city. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 12/15/14 12:43 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

if the "flap" causes issues, as Lora said insurance may pay for it.. just make sure you go to your doctor for medication, make sure he documents it .. you document it, take pics .. etc. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/15/14 10:55 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I just wanted to say that not everyone ends up with a skin flap to that extent.  I mean, I have lost over 170 pounds and mine is nothing like that.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat