Failing?

NorthernHusky
on 12/11/14 11:04 pm

Does anyone else feel like a constant failure?

I started this journey on June 16ht of this year at 347, and am now 250.. remarkable weight loss in 6 months, yet I am constantly worried and paranoid that I am failing. I hate it.. I feel like when I feel like I am failing I get discouraged and eat bad things, like carbs or eat and drink at the same time. I'm scared that I wont continue to lose weight, I am scared of this.

has anyone else felt this way?

how did you cope?

Racewalker48
on 12/11/14 11:25 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

So, you have lost a total of 97 pounds since June, an average of 16lbs per month.  That sounds like great progress to me.  Why do you feel like you are failing?  

NorthernHusky
on 12/12/14 12:07 am

I don't its  like a weird obsession.. I was more confident at 347 than I am now.

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/14 11:39 pm

I know exactly what you are feeling!!!  I started on this journey in 2009 and I'm down from 330 to 170.  But when I am standing in front of the mirror and I look at myself...it's so weird.  I just stare at what I don't like.  I have a lot of skin just hanging, and thank God, I hope, I'm having a tummy tuck on Dec. 22 to help make myself see the results and feel better. 

I'll do the same thing...look at myself...hate on myself...and have a food fest.  Then, I feel guilty because I did that, and start over again.  It's a constant struggle.  I don't really know what to do to change these feelings except that I force myself to go to the gym at least 4-5 times a week for at least 2 hours each time and work my butt off.  Then, I try to not stay at home much and eat only what I bring with me because otherwise, I'll eat badly.  I have healthy food at home but I would eat large portions of it. 

You are doing a remarkable job.  I think we have to journal more...write about our experiences, talk with others...get it out basically because I always feel better after I do.  I hope my blog, which I hope to write in everyday, and talking with people here will help me to stay positive and keep moving towards a healthier me.  I know WE can do it...

NorthernHusky
on 12/12/14 12:37 am

Thank you, we will get through this.. the journey never ends I guess.

I always thought that after the surgery id be immediately happy.. I was wrong.

I guess I have some internal work to do

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/14 11:57 pm

I totally understand what you are going through.By any means you are not a failure. A failure is a person who doesn't follow their plan and eats whatever they want.

I send messages to some of the vets and they have helped me.Seeing a therapist may help.Your friends can listen but they don't understand unless they have had WLS.

Stop drinking while you eat.This is hard but it is so important.The drinking washes the food out of your pouch.Someone will tell you it is okay to drink with meals.Do not listen to that. There are vets here who will tell you it is a major no no.

I don't mean to go on and on but You have lost 100 pounds.Think of all of the things you have accomplished.Like I am sure you have clothes in your closet that didn't fit you before go in there and I bet they would fit you know.

Think of all of the NSVs.

I have been feeling blue because my weight loss has slowed down. I try everyday to write something positive in my journal.

One of the vets told me the head part is the hard part.

NorthernHusky
on 12/12/14 12:36 am

Thank you so much for the support!

jastypes
on 12/12/14 2:22 am - Croydon, PA

Honestly?  It took 6 years for my head to catch up with my body.  I no longer have a fear of gaining and am comfortable with my way of eating, looking and living.  Therapy helped at times; Overeaters Anonymous helps; and so does my WLS support group.  It's definitely a journey, and you are not alone or unique.  :-)

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Gwen M.
on 12/12/14 4:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you seeing a therapist?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

angel720
on 12/12/14 10:00 am
VSG on 08/06/14

When I start getting nervous  about failing, I talk to my friends and family, they will point out quite accurately all I have accomplished in just 4 months. In my case I think it has to do with  letting myself down so many times before I think this will be just another one of those failed attempts. I do feel so much better when I talk to them. I do not like to be so needy for encouragement but  I am and prefer to bug them and  get my mind fixed than sabotage my progress.  

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center