Did anyone ever change their surgery option one week before their surgery

Elizabeth C.
on 12/11/14 8:22 pm

I am reconsidering bypass for sleeve. NO ONE, in the 7 months I've been seen, has mentioned that my meds for Restless Legs Syndrome would not potentially effectively work once I had bypass surgery. I knew about vitamins and such not being able to absorb, but not one doc took the time to say, "HEY-you take this med everyday, maybe you should consider the surgery that would allow absorption to happen". 

I am planning to talk to the surgeon's office this morning to make the switch. I am SO scared they will postpone the surgery now. Anyone ever do this crazy thing of changing procedures??

Kate -True Brit
on 12/11/14 8:48 pm - UK

It's not crazy!  If you didn't have all the facts, you were not making a fully informed decision and that is something which is essential.  In your place I would do lots of research, you may not have done as much on the sleeve. Talk to your doctor and other professionals.

Even if you had to postpone, getting the correct surgery is more important than getting it quickly. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 12/11/14 9:50 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Meds like that are usually not rendered ineffective, but dosages may need to be adjusted.  You will malabsorb "some" but not everything. 

You also want to consider that a restriction-only procedure works differently.  Has simply eating less worked for you in the past?  If you do great when you do crash dieting, then the sleeve may be perfect.  If you feel your body works against you, you may see better results from a procedure like bypass or DS to kick your metabolism up a notch or three.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Poodlemac
on 12/11/14 10:34 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Your delay, if any, will likely come from your insurance co.  Be sure to have the surgery which is best for your overall health. Restless leg syndrome as well as other sleep disorders are often rectified after weight loss. 

Chilipepper
on 12/12/14 6:38 am

I second what Valerie says.  As long as it isn't an anti inflammatory, you can take it and it will work. You may need a little more but you may also not have as many problems with it postop. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

huskergalWsD
on 12/13/14 5:57 am

Ohhhh  how I wished I 'd a had the Sleeve instead of Rny.. I don't know alot bout restless leg syndrome but sounds like it is a very uncomfortable thing to live with. I just know with this Rny if you don't drink enough liquids you also get a lot of cramping in your legs in the back part and in your feet and toes.. Sounds like this Rny I would pass on if I were you. you'd have 2 things to deal with and could be debilitating later on  after Rny. 

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

MsBatt
on 12/13/14 8:58 am

Talk to your pharmacist about exactly WHERE in your small intestine this med is designed to be absorbed. Most surgeons only bypass the uppermost 100-150 cms of the small intestine in the RNY, so it may not affect this particular med at all. (On the other hand, most vitamin and minerals absorption DOES occur in this part of the gut, so post-op supplementation is VERY important!)