At seminar they said BMI over 40 wouldn't have to wait......

lizdmca
on 12/11/14 12:37 pm

I went to a weight loss seminar last month and they said if you have a BMI of 40+ you wouldn't be stuck trying to loose the weight before scheduling your surgery.  Yesterday I had my consultation and then was told that my insurance is going to make me wait an additional 6 months (I've already waited 5 so far to get to this point) to have my surgery.  I have a BMI of 55 according to the chart they gave me.  I am hoping that there is some information that I missed and need to find to get a jump on this surgery.  If anyone knows how to help me fast track this please help.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/11/14 7:23 pm

It is your insurance. To get approved for surgery you need to complete the 6 months. 

At the seminar - most likely they referee to the clinic / surgeon rules. 

If you want the insurance to pay for the surgery , you need to do the 6 months. But if you can pay cash - self pay / then you would not have to wait to schedule.  Have in mind, that even after you complete all requirements, it may take 2-4 or more months to have the surgery... Depends how busy the practice is. 

7 years ago it took me smiles 6 months to get WLS... All the testing,  and simple getting in line to get a date...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lizdmca
on 12/12/14 2:48 am

thank you for helping.  I was excited when the doctor said that I wouldn't have to do the weight loss before surgery.  But yes I was told my insurance demands the wait.  I was just hoping that someone who has been through the process would be able to set things straight for me.  Thank you :)

Valerie G.
on 12/11/14 9:56 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm not sure what on earth they were trying to say in that statement.  Insurance requirements vary SO MUCH, that there is no way that is accurate.  There is no "fast track".  If they want you to diet for 6 months, then you find out everything, EVERYTHING they want you to do and don't miss a single step or you could be waiting an additional 6 mos to start all over again.  Take this time to learn all you can about the three most common procedures (RNY - Gastric Bypass, VSG-Sleeve, DS-Duodenal Switch).  I especially recommend you learn about the DS, as it's got the best statistics for success of those with BMI more than 50.  Learn how each of them work and compare that to what you know about yourself.  Learn how to stay healthy with long-term nutritional needs.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

lizdmca
on 12/12/14 2:52 am

Thank you for pointing out that I really need to find out everything possible.  I did however research the surgeries before the seminar, and thought that I knew the one I was going to have until I attended the surgery.  I have chosen the DS.  I want to do it right the first time and the Dr. said that most people with my BMI would have to get the DS after the weight loss stopped.  The less cutting the better ;) Nutrition is my next step, I need to get going on making those changes. 

Thank you again.

Valerie G.
on 12/12/14 3:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The DS is a great choice, and the doc was definitely right with your BMI.  There is a DS board here, too, and we share a lot of nutritional information, for the docs and nutritionists are relatively useless after the first 6 mos.  Collectively, were years ahead of their research with our true-life experiences

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Han Shot First
on 12/11/14 10:01 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

My insurance company required 6 months of supervised weight loss visits, and from what I understand, it is a really common requirement.  They will not waive it.  Weigh****chers counts for my insurance, so on the chance that you've been doing that, you could be okay.  Otherwise, you're stuck with it.  I'm sorry that your doctor communicated poorly, and hopefully it passes fast for you.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

lizdmca
on 12/12/14 2:56 am

I wish that my doctor had told me that the diet and weight management was a required part of the surgery, we could have nearly been done :)  So I guess you are right i am stuck with the wait.  I'm going to see if we can use any of my appointments in the past year to see if they can count against the required 6, which is something someone else mentioned to me. 

Thank you 

Judy700
on 12/11/14 10:16 pm
VSG on 03/11/14 with

If you have had you weight monitored by a doctor these past 5 months, that may count.  You don't necessarily have to lose weight during that time, unless your specific surgery center requires it.  My insurance originally told me they only required 3 months of supervised visits with my NUT which I did.  In fact, my center had me do 4 before they submitted my paperwork.  But then when my insurance got the paperwork from the center, they denied it saying that my STATE (yes, my state!) required all residents to go 6 months before undergoing any WLS.  But, they also said it didn't have to be 6 months in a row...just 6 months within the past year.  I had been on Weigh****chers for years prior to WLS, and so they agreed that once I showed them I paide for 3 months of Weigh****chers within the past year, they accepted it and I was good to go.  There can be loads of hurdles out there, so try to find out everything you can before you go any further.  
Good luck!

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

Y D.
on 12/12/14 12:46 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

My best friend gave me good advice once.. She said, "If there's a big brick wall put up, don't try to jump it or push through it, look to the left and right and find the way to simply walk around it!"

My insurance has an average wait time with classes, tests, and appointments- 9 months from start till surgery. For me, that was simply unacceptable. I could jump through their hoops and hopefully get surgery scheduled in at least 9 months- but I decided my health, my time, and my sense of well being were worth a few dollars at least.

I live in SD and found a good Dr. in Mexico I'm comfortable with. Very well reviewed here on the site, and I'll be having my VSG next month on January 19. I paid $4600 all inclusive. I may possibly be at GOAL by the time insurance would be scheduling a surgery date for me.

I just didn't want to play the insurance game.

That was my choice, but many people do find value in the classes or pre-op time to adjust to the new lifestyle, and of course have insurance pay for the surgery. Just all depends on what your health, wallet, and nerves can handle!