Mexico for surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/14 12:12 pm - santee, CA

Has anyone here done surgery in Mexico? I'm tempted to do it because it is a lot cheaper.

Valerie G.
on 12/11/14 9:59 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

There are many who have had wonderful experiences, while many others had true nightmares.  It's important to do your homework for this.  Get many (MANY) reviews and references from those who have gone.  There is a board out here just for those going to Mexico for surgery. 

One surgeon I know over the last decade has many happy patients is Dr. Gilberto Ungson in Hermasillo.  There is also a Dr. Jao Marchanesi in Brazil that has great references. (I know them because they do the DS and all other procedures)

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Janice N.
on 12/11/14 10:42 pm - MO
Mini Gastric Bypass on 10/01/14

I had surgery in Mexico on October the 1st 2014 my surgeon was Dr. Sergio Verboonen he was a wonderful doctor and I would absolutely recommend him. I went to Tijuana but I know he has a location in Cancun as well you're welcome to contact me if you want more information.

tstowe
on 12/11/14 11:27 pm
On December 31, 1969 at 4:00 PM Pacific Time, wrote:

My wife and I had the surgery done on September 1 at the Mexicali Bariatric Center in Mexico.

It was a GREAT experience. I really can't say enough good things about them. Nice hotel. Immaculate hospital. Low patient to nurse/doctor ratio.

It cost both of us less to go to Mexico than one of us could have done it at home. And that's with airfare for two (actually three, we bought an extra seat) from the East to West coast.

They advertise here. Look them up.

Y D.
on 12/12/14 12:33 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Definitely check out the Mexico forum, or look up different Dr.s (here or other websites) and read the posted reviews.

I'm having my VSG done with Dr. Lopez (Specialized Bariatrics) at Vida Hospital on January 19. When I researched I looked at all reviews available, the experience and education of the drs, the location (I wanted TJ, close to me in San Diego), what was included in each cost, and of course the total out of pocket.

Hopefully my surgery will go well like the others who have gone to my Dr., and if you keep in touch with me I'd be happy to tell you my experience when I get home.

I DO have health insurance, and I could get my surgery paid for here in the states. The issue for me is I have Kaiser, and with their requirements, people are waiting about 9 months to receive surgery. Me, for multiple reasons, do not want to wait that long, so I opted for self pay in Mexico. I could possibly be at goal by the time I would barely be getting scheduled for surgery here in the states.

I'm paying $4600 with Dr. Lopez for VSG at Vida Hospital, whi*****ludes transport, hospital, surgery, anesthesia, meds, and hotel stay.

Some people might think I'm nuts to self pay when I have insurance, but I'm taking control of my health, NOW.

Good luck to you! :)

angel720
on 12/12/14 10:16 am
VSG on 08/06/14

I also had surgery in Mexico and had a great experience, not the low priced to the ground doctors you find  in Mexico but  a good hospital with experienced surgeons. Do your homework and you can safely have it done in Mexico. 

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center