Deficiency

sammieash
on 12/11/14 1:35 am

Has anyone had any vitamin deficiency since WLS and if so what symptoms did you have?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/11/14 2:54 am - OH

Yes. Despite taking as much (or more than) the amount of calcium that the ASMBS recommends, my DEXA scans for the past two years have shown bone loss.  

Be aware that a DEXA scan is the only way to tell if you're getting enough calcium or not. The serum (blood) calcium level doesn't tell you anything except that -- if you're not getting enough calcium from your diet and supplements -- your body is doing a good enough job of pulling it from your bones to put in your blood.  It also means that you only know there is a problem once bone loss has already occurred.

A number of people with gastric bypass also struggle with keeping their iron levels up. I have been able to just increase my daily dose, but a number of people end up getting infusions because the oral supplements just don't get the job done. 

It is REALLY important to get lab work done on a regular basis if you have RNY or DS, because by the time you start noticing symptoms/problems the deficiency may be severe, and because of our absorption issues it is difficult for us to raise our levels. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Tracy D.
on 12/11/14 3:22 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Not so far...but vitamin deficiency can take a really, reall long time to show up on blood work.  By the time you actually show symptoms you've probably been deficient for a very long time.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 12/11/14 3:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I actually have a copper toxicity issue, but we think it might be due to iron deficiency.  I had low iron pre-op, though, so this is not a super huge surprise!  I'm working on it now and will retest in February.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Valerie G.
on 12/11/14 4:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You've got to be more specific.  Malnutrition has different symptoms depending on the deficiency.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sammieash
on 12/11/14 11:08 am

Since WLS , I have developed tremors, vision problems, taste buds are haywire, gait unbalanced so bad that I depend on a walker.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/11/14 12:43 pm - OH

Have you had a full vitamin/mineral work up done?  There are several different deficiencies that could be causing the things you mention.

The "haywire" tastebuds are probably not vitamin related, though... Many people find that their tastes change post-op (sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/11/14 7:25 pm

Zinc deficiency can cause changes in taste buds. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Valerie G.
on 12/11/14 9:35 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You need a full blood panel done ASAP to see what you have to work with. I'm talking at least a dozen vials of blood for this trip.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cathy W.
on 12/11/14 6:12 am

I've had issues with iron, especially the past couple of years and been anemic.  I have osteoporosis too even though I've been compliant with my calcium and vitamins since a few days post-op.