it's been 11 yrs need help getting down 25 lbs

Laurie1021
on 12/11/14 3:11 am

hi  it's been awhile since i have been on here i was listed as Lorenza Castro   but forgot all my info. ..i have full blown heart disease which had nothing to do with surgery but it's been eleven years now i need advice to get 25lbs off . Surgery was my blessing...just need help now

Gwen M.
on 12/11/14 6:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome back!  I'd start by measuring and logging everything you put into your mouth with something like MyFitnessPal.  That will let you see what you're consuming and where you need to make changes.  From there, I'd work on getting back to my basics.  Here are mine, yours might be a little different: 

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

You can do this :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/14 6:43 am

Thanks Gwen for posting these ten points.  I'd forgotten about liquid calories and how they add up.  I don't drink them, but it's been a long time since I heard that one so it's a great reminder, especially in the winter when we want the warm drinks.  I think this has inspired me to write some guidelines for myself.  Time to think...thank you!

Gwen M.
on 12/11/14 6:45 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You're welcome.  When I wrote my list, it was really beneficial to me to just think about "wait, what ARE my basics?"  I revisit it daily to remind myself. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jerry M.
on 12/11/14 2:29 pm

Have you gained any of your lost weight back after 11 years? After that amount of time your stomach may have stretched back out and returned to it's old capacity. Then it will be harder to lose much weight unless one is able to retain their new habits after this amount of time and not return to their old ones. That is easier if you remain on the go. Perhaps one has had some problems with exercising that was unavoidable. I had that problem when I broke my ankle and was off work for 4 months. There is not a lot you can do with a broken ankle but sit until it heals. The doctor made it quite clear that if I walked on it that my ankle could fall apart. So, I just gave it a rest, a 4 month rest. And what do you do for entertainment but sit at your computer...and eat......  So I gained back 20 lbs and am having to lose it again. The good thing is that I had maintained my weight for 10years but had this one "oops".  For something like what your problem is with heart disease, I would get a nutritionist to work with you. Maybe your insurance would cover it or your old WLS doctor's office could be of assistance and give recommendations as they would be the best suited for this and what an older WLS patient may need.