Why did you have WLS? A new question added... See top of first post.

gram247
on 12/16/14 3:05 pm

I had to comment on your post. Like you I carried that much weight. I had lost weight in the past but gained it back. 

I had surgery on 10/4/11 & as of now I have lost 180 pounds. I weigh less now than when I got married 42 years ago. I went form a size 32 to a size 10-12. I got my life back. I also can now wear boots that go over my calfs.

Good luck with your surgery.

Friends K.
on 12/10/14 10:35 am
RNY on 01/14/14

I wanted to fit in normal sized world. Movie seats, planes, between tables in a cute restaurant. I wanted my shoulders and hips to not interfere with other peoples space.  I wanted to shop any where. I wanted to not get looks from people as I entered my daughters concert and hope I wouldn't sit next to them. I wanted to sit on the floor and read with preschoolers.  

Health too but my mental heAlth lead to my choice.

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

Han Shot First
on 12/10/14 10:21 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Great list of reasons.  Fitting is totally awesome!  I went to my first show since WLS last Saturday, and I was thrilled to find I could sit in the seat comfortably!  The arms weren't digging into my hips, I wasn't sore 15 minutes into it, and it was great.  I got those same looks at concerts and so on, and I can't wait until they aren't there anymore.  I haven't been on a plane in 10 years because of the troubles with it.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Queen_Tatiana
on 12/10/14 10:45 am

I had diabetes for which I was on insulin shots to help control, HBP. high cholesterol, joint pain, back pain.  This list could go on and on.  I was a text book fat person with fat person issues.  I was also vain.  Yes I was fat, but I always dressed nice, for both my professional life and my personal life. 

Why did I have the surgery?  To curb the health issues.  To physically look better.  I like the way I look now both inside and outside.  I have been blessed with good genes on the skin side and have no sagging skin--I can wear sleeveless tops. 

Thanks for asking.

Mari     

WLS 12/27/04 260lbs; CW 136lbs; 5'6

mike324-190
on 12/10/14 10:55 am
RNY on 12/30/14

Those are really great answers everyone. You are really helping me feel better about my decision to go for it. I think I may have been guilty of looking at this surgery as an elective procedure. The more I read this site and your posts, the more comfortable I've become. I felt selfish for wanting to do this. I have never been vain, but I do want to look better. I want to feel better, I want to live longer, and I want to be able to move again, so I may be able to help others. I want to see my daughter get married and play with grandkids. I want to give my grandkids something my daughter and I never had. A grandpa. My grandpa died many years before I was born, and my dad died in 1983. My daughter was born in 2002. Kind ofa big deal huh?

BreakingUp4Good
on 12/10/14 11:29 am - Stevenson Ranch, CA

My surgery date is 12-17. I am getting the WLS surgery mainly because I want to live a longer life. Also I have recently developed sleep apnea and it's scary. I also want to be able to jog, etc.

The appearance part will be awesome but this is not a vanity thing.

mike324-190
on 12/10/14 11:48 am
RNY on 12/30/14

"The appearance part will be awesome but this is not a vanity thing"

I completely understand that. There is vanity, which I would define it in this cir****tance as doing the WLS ONLY to improve your looks. Like a boob job would be for vanity. Having a more societally "normal" looking body after this is an awesome side effect in my book. I am sure we all have thoughts about how much better we will look, even if we decide to do the surgery for medical issues. I'm just looking for the primary reason for the poll. Trust me,  I'm not going to diss anyone for doing it for vanity. I get it.

Y D.
on 12/10/14 12:58 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

For me I'd say 60% vanity, 40% health.

since I gained weight as an adult, 7 years ago, I haven't felt like "me". I feel trapped in an alien form. I need the peace that being in the correct body brings again.

for health, I am doing pretty well. It's just the extra weight on my small frame gives me frequent muscle and joint pain. I tire easily and I can't do all the things id like. 

Also, id like to start a family. I know I want to carry a baby at a healthy weight when the time comes.

mike324-190
on 12/10/14 4:38 pm, edited 12/10/14 4:41 pm
RNY on 12/30/14

You know, I feel out of control. My emotions are all over the place. Thinking about all of the things I will be able to do after I heal and start losing makes me happy.  Then I question myself and wonder if I'm doing this for the right reason. My family needs me here. Yes,  i know this, but i feel selfish when i start thinking about how much better my life will befor me.

My daughter deserves a dad who can play with her and walk on the beach with her, and eventually walk her down the aisle. Both of us will be happier. My wife needs me to take care of her for a while too. I guess I focus on what this is doing to my daughter more than anyone because my dad was always stick when I was growing up and he died of heart failure when I was only 16.

Sorry about rambling, just needed to get that out I guess. 

Trouble1391011
on 12/11/14 3:16 am

I completely agree with this!

I gained weight in my adulthood after having my last 3 children out of 5 and I couldn't get rid of it. I hated the way I looked and wasn't happy in my own skin. Diabetes runs deep in my family so it was only a matter of time for me.  I just wanted to beat the medical issues before they beat me.

I am 10 weeks out and 45 lbs lighter and feel AWESOME!