Lets Talk Hernias Again

huskergalWsD
on 12/10/14 2:04 am

What I want to know is who has had a Hernia repair done later after their diagnoses? post op of course and was able to prolong the surgery ? I was just diagnosed with having several small Hernias (still don't understand that fully) thought a hernia was just one. I am having a heart stress test this Friday. OK after all heart stress tests are done and I get the go ahead to have this Hernia surgery I still will not do it until I feel its time for me mentally, And I feel safe. sorry I am just not feeling it yet. I am still pissed at "some" of these doctors who give you 5 min on a visit. I had the same experience with a dental surgeon a couple of weeks ago, gave me 10 min looking at my teeth for upcoming dentures. I will need my upper bone cut to make upper dentures.

I am still scared because of what the wls surgeons nurse said to me. She said she is worried for me because of my heart condition. Well I am reading all the things to avoid doing so I can live with this Hernia(s****il I feel it is time when I feel safe enough. Maybe I am over reacting but when you have had as many surgeries as I have had and came near death twice,it really starts getting scarey. Not getting any younger either. If you know the story about Joan Rivers that really got me more scared. She went into cardiac arrest and passed away after administering anesthesia.Thats what I am afraid of.And I know this has to be done sooner or later. Then at my last doctor visit I was told this is an elective surgery.  What? Elective? This will be surgery number 14. Remember Im having my Gallbladder removal also at the same time.

I don't lift much I drink plenty of water , eat plenty of fiber to keep things moving easily. I cough easily. I am being very careful not to use my abdomen muscles much, Although last night I messed up while engaging in some sex I used them muscles too hard now today I am pretty sore in my abdomen area. I will definately have to change things. Well my main question is how long were you able to avoid Hernia surgery after diagnoses? What is your story if you were in my same shoes?

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

huskergalWsD
on 12/10/14 2:11 am

Mayo Clinic Health System locations.Request Appointment

Diseases and Conditions

Inguinal hernia

Print Sections
  1. Basics
    1. Definition
    2. Symptoms
    3. Causes
    4. Risk factors
    5. Complications
    6. Preparing for your appointment
    7. Tests and diagnosis
    8. Treatments and drugs
    9. Prevention
  2. In-Depth
  3. Expert Answers
  4. Multimedia
  5. Resources
  6. News From Mayo Clinic
  1. Definition
  2. Symptoms
  3. Causes
  4. Risk factors
  5. Complications
  6. Preparing for your appointment
  7. Tests and diagnosis
  8. Treatments and drugs
  9. Prevention
Products and services Number 1 hospital in the nation by U.S. News and World Report The Mayo Clinic Diet

Free E-newsletter

Subscribe to Housecall

Our general interest e-newsletter keeps you up to date on a wide variety of health topics.

Symptoms

By Mayo Clinic Staff  

Some inguinal hernias don't cause any symptoms. You might not know you have one until your doctor discovers it during a routine medical exam. Often, however, you can see and feel the bulge created by the hernia. The bulge is usually more obvious when you stand upright, especially if you cough or strain.

Inguinal hernia signs and symptoms include:

• A bulge in the area on either side of your pubic bone
  • A burning, gurgling or aching sensation at the bulge
  • Pain or discomfort in your groin, especially when bending over, coughing or lifting
  • A heavy or dragging sensation in your groin
  • Weakness or pressure in your groin
  • Occasionally, pain and swelling around the testicles when the protruding intestine descends into the scrotum

You should be able to gently and easily push the hernia back into your abdomen when you're lying down. If not, applying an ice pack to the area may reduce the swelling enough so that the hernia slides in easily. Lying with your pelvis higher than your head also may help.

Incarcerated hernia

If you aren't able to push the hernia in, the omentum or a loop of intestine can be trapped (incarcerated) in the abdominal wall. An incarcerated hernia can lead to a strangulated hernia, which cuts off the blood supply to your intestine. Surgery is needed to repair the hernia and restore blood supply to the bowel. A strangulated hernia can be life-threatening if it isn't treated.

Signs and symptoms of strangulated hernia include:

• Nausea, vomiting or both
  • Fever
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Sudden pain that quickly intensifies
  • A hernia bulge that turns red, purple or dark

If any of these signs or symptoms occurs, call your doctor right away.

Signs and symptoms in children

Inguinal hernias in newborns and children result from a weakness in the abdominal wall that's present at birth. Sometimes the hernia may be visible only when an infant is crying, coughing or straining during a bowel movement. In an older child, a hernia is likely to be more apparent when the child coughs, strains during a bowel movement or stands for a long period of time.

When to see a doctor

See your doctor if you have a painful or noticeable bulge in your groin on either side of your pubic bone. The bulge is likely to be more noticeable when you're standing upright, and you usually can feel it if you put your hand directly over the affected area. Seek immediate medical care if a hernia bulge turns red, purple or dark.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)

Lisarn1
on 12/10/14 3:03 am - Raleigh, NC

An inguinal hernia is something that occurs mostly in men. They have inguinal rings in their pelvic area, and they are the two canals where the spermatic cord flows through. Sometimes the intestines will poke through creating bowel incarceration. Men will have this type of hernia when they are living heavy loads. I don't know where you have your hernias, but in women it is most likely to be related to  weakness in the lining of the intestines. Women do have a deep inguinal ring, but herniation is far less common in women than in men.

Generally, unless incarceration is high risk, elective surgery is not usually recommended.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

sp1209
on 12/10/14 9:26 am - AL

I know you said mostly and I know that is true but I (female)had an inguinal hernia. Did not know anything about it until one night I started hurting so bad. DH took me to ER and I had emergency inguinal hernia surgery. It could not be done lap so it was a pretty big incision and seemed like it took me a long time to get over that surgery. My WLS surgeon also did the hernia surgery. 

Lisarn1
on 12/10/14 9:46 am, edited 12/10/14 9:46 am - Raleigh, NC

I have no doubt that it was a tough surgery to recover from. The location of the inguinal rings in the female are pretty deep into the body. When I was refreshing my memory about inguinal hernias I read some stats that stated that the incidence in men is about 27% to about 3% in women. I wish I could remember which article quoted this.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Hislady
on 12/10/14 6:16 am - Vancouver, WA

You need to sit down with your surgeon (ask for an extra long appointment so you can talk without being rushed).  Make a list of all the questions you have asked here and any others you come up with. You need to find out what kind of ulcer you have because there is more than one kind. Find out what the risks are if you don' have it done and if you do have it done. I am surprised it is mentioned as elective too especially if it bothers you, so ask him why that is, maybe it doesn't mean the same thing to him as it does to us. Maybe it's just a billing code. You should probably take someone with you if you can because then you have an extra set of ears to hear what he says. I had my hiatal hernia fixed with my WLS and it didn't take alot of extra time so yours may be a short one too. I didn't even know I had a hernia except for some heartburn but I did feel better when it was fixed.

I doubt anyone is going to have the same or even similar type of history you do because it is rather unusual. Every situation is individual so even if you had identical histories it would still have different results just because people are different. So the best thing you can do is speak with your medical people, have your surgeon consult with your cardio and make sure everyone is on the same page. Good luck!

Mary Gee
on 12/10/14 7:58 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

^^^As Hislady says, you really need to get answers from your doctor, and bring someone with you to the appointment.  When scheduling the appointment, be sure to mention you need extra time.

Your medical situation is unique to you --  there's no way people here can give you the answers you are seeking, even is there are medical doctors among us.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/10/14 9:51 am - OH

As the others have said, you really need these answers from your doctor(s).  Yes, there are lots of people who have hernias and they do nothing about them for quite a while (or wver) because they don't pose any problems at all or only cause occasional discomfort. (Many people don't even know they have small hernias until a scan shows it or a doctor is inside them for another reason and happens to see it!)

Other people, though, have a lot of pain from their hernias (especially if they are large) and have them fixed as soon as possible because of that.  Some hernias actually can allow the intestine to poke through and can cause major trouble and need fixed PDQ.  

Only your doctor can tell you what YOUR situation is.  If he is saying it is elective surgery, though, then it probably isn't a situation where there is any rush to have them fixed.

As far as the Joan Rivers situation, I think you are borrowing trouble and making yourself crazy.  She was 81 years old...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

hollykim
on 12/10/14 11:50 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

you need to know also that some hernias ,un repaired,can be life threatening. I had a hiatal hernia that was life threatening I that 2/3 of my lungs were being compromised by the hernia every time I laid down. Yours may not be life threatening,but you really need to. Know exactly what kind you have and compare the risks of not repairing it to the risks of surgery with your other conditions.

huskergalWsD
on 12/10/14 12:31 pm

Ok I will add that the cat scan showed I had an Inguinal Hernia is what the doctor told me. I also have a nodule in my lungs.