Eating and drinking together

NorthernHusky
on 12/9/14 10:02 am

K.. so I know people who have the bypass have absorption issues.. so my question is, eating something,  then drinking it, which sort of flushes it through and out.. are we absorbing the full amount of calories?  Cuz we sure don't absorb all the nutrients and whatever. . Just wondering.  And I know we shouldn't eat and drink because u feel hungry faster yada yada yada. . Simply wondering 

rocky513
on 12/9/14 12:31 pm - WI

Drinking  after you eat just pushes the food into the intestines faster.  We don't absorb calories in our pouches or sleeves.  All calories are absorbed through your intestines.  The reason we don't absorb some vitamins is because the surgeon has bypassed the area of intestines ( just below the stomach) where those vitamins are absorbed.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Tracy D.
on 12/10/14 1:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If drinking after eating a high calorie or fatty meal actually helped with calorie absorption, I don't think any of us would have needed the surgery - lol!  

Like the OP stated, calorie absorption happens in your intestines.  The reason for not drinking with meals or immediately after is that it will lead to you feeling less satisfied, you'll hungrier again sooner and BOY can it be super uncomfortable 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Valerie G.
on 12/10/14 2:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Iron and B start absorbing in the stomach.  Most of the rest is absorbed in the intestines.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 12/10/14 6:30 am

I'm not sure I would say that people who've had "the bypass"---by which I assume you mean the RNY/gastric bypass---have "absorption issues".  People who've had the RNY are no longer able to normally absorb certain vitamins and minerals, because the part of the gut that best absorbs these no longer comes in contact with food.

Almost nothing is absorbed in the stomach. That's not what the stomach does. It's job is to further break foods down, and churn them into a thick fluid called chyme. (Food and stomach enzymes mixed together.) Aspirin and alcohol are about the only things well-absorbed in the stomach.

For those who have an RNY, drinking with or immediately after eating does wash food through the pouch faster, but this doesn't affect absorption---only hunger. Washing food out of the pouch faster means hunger returns faster, encouraging eating more.

There's two kinds of malabsorption---malabsorption of MACROnutrients, also called CALORIES, and malabsorption of MICROnutrients, also called vitamins and minerals. How they are absorbed is different.

Vitamins and minerals are absorbed at specific sites in the gut, and a lot of those sites no longer come in contact with food after the RNY. That's why malabsorption of those things is permanent.

Calories, however, are absorbed throughout the entire digestive tract, beginning in the MOUTH and ending at the rectum. The small intestine is VERY good at growing more villi, the little things in the gut that do the actual absorbing of calories. That's why the malabsorption of calories is temporary in the RNY.