Lucy ~

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/8/14 8:20 am

Excellent point. Beauty fades; intelligence and curiosity about the world around us doesn't.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Chilipepper
on 12/8/14 7:56 am, edited 12/8/14 8:05 am

Why are you floating around the revision board Lucy.  Sounds like you were unable to control your eating and have now stretched your pouch and you have the nerve to talk about your young daughter being unable to control herself.  

Pot meet kettle!  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/5279401/Seeking-r evision-of-VSG-What-to-expect-at-the-surgeons/

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

rocky513
on 12/8/14 7:59 am - WI

For someone so concerned about "ROCKS" being thrown. you certainly stepped up to keep the conversation going by posting this comment.  That post would have faded away and the next topic would have taken it's place.  Bringing it up to be rehashed is not a very kind gesture to the OP. I'm sure she would like to move on.

To quote Elsa, "LET IT GO""

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Laura in Texas
on 12/8/14 8:01 am

To me it came across as though the MOM does not approve of her daughter's weight. "Of course you are sitting around by yourself, all alone, because you are FAT. Don't you realize no one will ever want you because you are FAT??? Why don't you just lose weight???" (even though the mother battles the same demons and cannot lose weight)

No daughter needs to hear that message from her mother.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 12/8/14 8:12 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/8/14 8:20 am

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Mary Gee
on 12/8/14 8:16 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

"Double, double toil and trouble;

Fire burn and caldron bubble..........."   That's great, just keep stirring the pot and keep the fire burning!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Lucy van Pelt
(formerly LetItBe)

on 12/8/14 10:03 am, edited 12/8/14 10:06 am

I never thought posting about my daughter's obesity and its social ramifications would cause a virtual riot on this site. Clearly, we are all responding to the truth inherent in my main points: that fat shaming has a social cost. And that fact makes me livid.  And I need to be there for my daughter in a way that supports her, does not blame the victim, but DOES not pretend that this social injustice does not exist. Validating her truth as she states it is NOT shaming her!

As fat/formerly fat women we ALL know that we are treated differently based on our size. And by the way this entire site reads and the way the WL industry works, we are ALL much happier when thin than fat. We don't read about women giddy to be fitting into a size 24 on this site.

Professor Sonja: My daughter is an honor student majoring in pre-med, at a liberal arts college in the Northeast on a full academic scholarship.

Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

mike324-190
on 12/13/14 5:41 pm
RNY on 12/30/14

Go back and read my post on the original thread from Lucy. I read her first post and commented on what I read in that original post. I read only her post. Something told me to respond without reading anyone else's opinions. I thought it would be most helpful that way. I think some here have read into Lucy's post, something that wasn't there. I could be wrong, but I didn't get all of the stuff you ladies got when I first read her post. I also think that some of you have been overly harsh on Lucy too.

The written word is a hard thing to decipher sometimes. The writer who is not well versed in their writing skills, as well as very experienced ones, may have a harder time expressing their true intended message. My son has had the worst fights with his girlfriend over Facebook messages and texts. Neither of them have great writing skills, so the true message is usually missed and subsequently taken wrong.

At any rate, there is no reason to berate Lucy any more than she has already been berated. If she did have the feelings about her daughter that you think she had, I'm sure she has rethought those opinions by now.

Just my 2 cents.