why am i so hungry after surgery?

Kate -True Brit
on 12/7/14 3:24 pm - UK

I may just have missed this. But have you had a lap and, a sleeve, a bypass or a DS? They all work in different ways and have different effects. Although all require a post-op liquid diet.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

converse
on 12/7/14 11:02 pm

I had the sleeve..its getting better as the days go by..2wk ill be able to drink protein shakes.

rocky513
on 12/7/14 6:09 am - WI

Don't confuse a noisy stomach for hunger pangs.  Your new "plumbing" is going to make a lot of noise.  Most people who have had WLS have very "noisy pouches".  It has nothing to do with hunger.  I'm four years out from surgery and I still have a pouch that "sings" to me.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

JenniPenny
on 12/7/14 6:14 am - MN

Your intestines and  stomach have all been  rerouted so there is air trapped inside there  and it's  making noise. Growling stomach isn't a sign of hunger either pre or post op. It's the sound of air or liquids moving around. Many post ops have noisy stomachs for months while our bodies figure out that everything's been moved and things have to go down differently. Physical Hunger doesn't come back for many weeks or months if at all. If you have hunger as a new post op it's head hunger. In your head not a physical symptom. Keep to your surgeon's meal plan and you'll be fine.

Jen RNY  2001

converse
on 12/7/14 11:05 pm

Yes thanks..it has been head hunger.   Its getting better as the days go by.  Stomach acids fading away..staying strong trying not to think of food.

Hislady
on 12/7/14 8:04 am - Vancouver, WA

You can't trust anything your stomach tells you the first several weeks because the nerves in your stomach were cut so they aren't sending true signals. That is why it is so very important to measure your food once you get to solids, so you don't eat too much when your tummy and nerves aren't fully healed. Like the others have said your tummy is now a rummbly thing!