Newbie - Best-tasting protein shakes and why?

Sashi_Kitty
on 12/6/14 7:33 am

Hi OH Friends  :-)

I am new here, and still researching & collecting information.

I was wondering if you would mind sharing with me the BRAND & FLAVOR of your favorite bariatric protein drink?  I love plain water, but I suspect that I will have trouble finding bariatric protein drinks that I tolerate very well. (In my experience so far, certain chalky/powdery tastes make me feel nauseous.) I figured I'd try some ahead of time so that I can be properly prepared.

I am currently drinking Thorne Mediclear-SGS Chocolate flavor protein drink every morning as part of my current PCP's weight management effort. 

http://www.amazon.com/Thorne-Research-Mediclear-SGS-Chocolate-37-6/dp/B0072PONYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417907813&sr=8-1&keywords=thorne+mediclear+sgs+chocolate

I love this stuff, but I'm guessing it won't meet the requirements for a "bariatric" shake.  It has evaporated cane juice sugar, glucose and stevia in it.  Only 23grams of protein, 8 grams of carbs (including 5 grams of sugar) per serving.

I suppose it's best to start recalibrating my taste buds now, rather than later.  Right?  :-)

I'd really be grateful for any recommendations you'd be willing to share.  Thanks!

hollykim
on 12/6/14 12:31 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I like the Syntrax Nectar line. They have choc,etc and also fruity flavors that mix well with water. 

I wouldn't use the shake you mentioned cause cane juice is just pure sugR. It could set you up for cravings. 

lynnielyn
on 12/6/14 9:40 pm

Unjury.com

You can order samples.

The best tasting i have found.

mom2nuts
on 12/6/14 10:50 pm

Hi there.  I am on day 4 of my pre-op diet.  I ordered a sample variety pack of the Syntrax Nectar--it is tolerable but has a very strong "protein" taste--I have found the grape flavor isn't horrid. I also ordered UNJURY-the unflavored.  It arrived yesterday and I mixed it with some Crystal Lite--it makes the liquid a bit cloudy--and you CAN taste it, but it's not nearly as strong as the Syntrax in my opinion.  You might have to play around and decide which one is the best option for you.  Out of the two choices--I prefer the UNJURY.

Gwen M.
on 12/6/14 11:11 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It's all a matter of personal taste - I don't use a "bariatric" protein powder, just a regular protein powder.  For example, I can't use Unjury because they have fructose as an ingredient which is no better than any other added sugar and worse for me due to my fructose malabsorption.  

I use Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate which I mix with unsweetened original almond milk in a blender bottle.  I like it the best because it's a darker chocolate than most protein powders so it's not disgustingly sweet.  It's got great stats, I use about a scoop and a half in 8 ounces of almond milk.  I keep expecting to get sick of it, but I've been using it since January (1-5 shakes a day depending on the stage of my diet) and I still enjoy it.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mom2nuts
on 12/6/14 11:20 pm

Hi Gwen, the Unjury I have (unflavored) has no fructose--no carbs, no sugars.  

Gwen M.
on 12/6/14 11:26 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Yes. I should have clarified that it's an issue with their flavored powders. Like chocolate. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 12/6/14 11:15 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

This is like asking what someone's favorite food is. What one person craves, another will find disgusting.

Learning to read nutrition labels is a vital skill. That's the most important aspect of all this. High protein, low carb, low calorie works, no matter what flavor.

Don't stock up before surgery. Some folks have radical taste changes, and something they loved before, they will hate after.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

na_na
on 12/6/14 11:25 pm - KS

I like the unjury unflavored as my #1 and the flavored ones are not that bad they are the best I have tasted.  

sunnkistme
on 12/7/14 12:46 am

I do not like the protein powders unless I can mix it in a very flavorful smoothie.  I also do not enjoy "chocolate flavored" drinks or powders; as a chocolate lover I enjoy the real thing and can not stomach imitations.  One powder that I do enjoy is the UNJURY chicken soup.  During the full liquids phase I would even mix some in with soups to give them an extra protein boost.  I have the unflavored protein powder and use it if I am desperate for extra protein in a meal.  My favorite protein drink by far is Vanilla flavored Premier Protein.  I find the consistency is easy to get down and I do not detect an aftertaste.  You can buy a sample a 4 pack from Wal Mart or Safeway, but if you like it buy it at Costco by the case where it is much better priced.