Sleep Apnea

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/14 12:51 am

Just went for my last appointment for surgery. It was with the pulmonary doctor, and didn't go so well. They told me I might have sleep apnea and I have go for a sleep test on December 18. Will having sleep apnea move my surgery date? Because I'm supposed to have surgery in January. 

Valerie G.
on 12/5/14 1:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It shouldn't affect your surgery date.  It's something else to log and they may make extra provisions on your surgery day is all.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/5/14 3:16 am
VSG on 12/06/12

No and it usually helps people to get approval for surgery. I had it very severe like I stopped breathing every 30 seconds. They have you hooked on oxygen the whole time. I only needed my machine while I was in recovery. You will be fine.

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/14 7:04 am

The pulmonary doctor made it seem like I wouldn't be able to have surgery 

Thebiggestloser
on 12/5/14 8:48 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I think a good number of us had sleep apnea preop. It's very common with obesity and as stated above it will help obtain insurance authorization. It's important to wear your cpap in the hospital after surgery and post op - my surgeon says it really helps promote healing! Good luck!!!

56sunShine14
on 12/8/14 6:59 am

I did the sleep study for pre-op reqs.and they said I stopped breathing an avg of 54 times PER HOUR! I'm glad it is a requirement.  And it doesn't change whether I will have surgery, it was more of a reason for it.  

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/14 9:49 am

But did it delay when you were having surgery?

Racewalker48
on 12/9/14 10:13 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea during my pre-op workup, as my surgeon screens his patients for sleep apnea if they haven't already been diagnosed.  It did not delay surgery.  In fact, I think it helped as it added another comorbidity to the others I had.  

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/14 10:55 am

I just got worried because they scheduled the sleep study for dec 19 and then I see the surgeon on dec 29 and the results take 2 weeks apparently so he won't be able to schedule my surgery till the results come back.

56sunShine14
on 12/9/14 11:21 am
On December 9, 2014 at 5:49 PM Pacific Time, Kjeronimo wrote:

But did it delay when you were having surgery?

No, it has not and would not cause a delay because I am now on the CPAP machine.  If I were to say no to that, I am sure surgery would not happen.  I do not yet have a date but today finished all but one pre-req. for the surgery.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen