Excess skin

Kate -True Brit
on 12/8/14 5:21 pm - UK

Feel good when clothed, put up with it when not!  I never wear short sleeves, always cover my knees, accept I don't look good in things which cling.

but so much better size 10 with limited clothing styles to size 28!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/8/14 8:39 pm, edited 12/8/14 8:39 pm

How do you move now at 383 lbs? 

The skin you worry about is there already... Now is it fill with fat... Some of the skin will shrink... The rest - you can hide under clothes. Having panni removed in surgery should really make a differences.  As for the rest - if that would really bother you -start saving...a few dollars here and there... Plus after you lose the weight - maybe getting a second job and using that money just for plastic? You may have to wait a few years, but it can be done.  

BTW: I choose to have plastic and used my savings. But now I am working on replacing that.  One way to do is to find out what and how I can do it.  I see people who complain about not being able to afford this or that, yet they regularly have their nails and hair done, eat out rather often,  and waste money on other things. 

I am not saying that is you... But sometime helps to really look what a person can do. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Valerie G.
on 12/8/14 10:28 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm 9 yrs post op DS and never had plastics.  My skin is loose and definitely not worthy of a bikini, but I can camoflague nicely with lycra undergarments.  My legs are attractive only with Bermuda shorts, but I can live with that, too.  This time of year, the shapers also double as longjohns, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/14 11:05 pm
VSG on 06/01/15

Thank you so much everybody for putting things in perspective. You're all right. It's better to have loose skin than fat filled loose skin!

Becky

Tracy D.
on 12/9/14 2:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I worried about the excess skin too, which is funny to me now because I worried more about THAT than I did how hideous I looked at 5'3" and almost 250 lbs.  Really, who was I kidding?!?!

You will be able to hide the excess skin with careful dressing and the use of good shapewear underneath clothes that fit closer to the body.  The panni will be the worst part and you'll get that paid for.  And believe me, moving around is MUCH easier without the excess fat.  The excess skin isn't going to hold you back from the things you really want to do.  Can you say that now about being 383 lbs.??

Think of it this way:  would you rather be dead at 383 lbs. with some excess skin (but admittedly lots of excess fat) or living your life at a healthy weight with a little excess skin tucked away that nobody sees unless you're naked?   I know which one I chose 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 12/9/14 2:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've lost 120 pounds so far and I definitely have loose skin.  I deal with it by, well, loving my body and being proud of my weight loss.  I wear sleeveless dresses when they're comfortable to wear, I wear tank tops at physical therapy, I wear shirts with short sleeves.. I love myself too much to hate my body now, especially when I'm working so hard to be better!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 12/9/14 2:54 am

Loose skin and hair loss seem to be people's top 2 concerns pre-op. Honestly, the overwhelming majority of us are happier post-op even with loose skin and would choose surgery again.

Good luck on your journey!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 12/9/14 4:12 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The loose, drooping skin is a small price to pay for the vast improvement of my health, both mentally and physically.  Morbidly obese people will never become super models, no matter how much we might fantasize about it in our heads.  We can, however, feel better and lead longer and healthier lives by losing weight.  

Yes, there's a huge puddle o' skin clustering around my ass when I sit down naked.  I don't care.  I feel so much better that this a very acceptable trade off.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/9/14 5:02 am

The Victoria's Secret ladies won't be out jobs now that I've lost weight. I look exactly what I am: a forty-something woman who spent years SMO then lost massive weight. I have excess skin. No big deal.

Even if you can only put aside five dollars a month, put it aside. If you decide not to pursue plastics, spend the money on something else. If you do, you'll have a little seed money. There are a lot of creative ways to finance things that don't involve knocking over a bank.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Queen_Tatiana
on 12/9/14 9:41 am

I have been blessed with good genes as far as my skin goes so I have no personal advice for you, but I can offer up what a woman in my support group does with her loose skin.  She's had the surgery and lots of sagging skin.  She wears body shape wear aka spanx.  Full body coverage and 3/4 length sleeves.  I wish you the best.

Mari     

WLS 12/27/04 260lbs; CW 136lbs; 5'6