Sleeve and reflux

Valerie G.
on 12/5/14 1:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The band would likely make it just as bad or worse.  The RNY is most recommended for people with reflux, since many report reflux as a side effect of sleeve, or getting significantly worse.  That being said, I also know a few that had relief after the sleeve, go figure.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 12/5/14 1:41 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If you have reflux now it's almost certain that it will just get worse after VSG.  I never had issues with reflux before and now I have to be on medication for it (it was BAD!).  

I wouldn't recommend the band to my worst enemy.  Please do more research on RNY, it sounds like it could be a better option for you and may resolve your reflux issues.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

KattattaK
on 12/5/14 5:46 am

I beg you to NOT get the lap band!!! If the doc is recommending that for you, that is not the right surgeon for you. Find someone else. 

sunnkistme
on 12/5/14 2:37 pm

I live over an hour away from my surgeons office, it was worth the trip.  You might check if a within driving distance has a bariatric program.   I found the Sutter weight management program on line and was able to choose the surgeon I felt most comfortable with out of the 4 surgeons involved with the program.  I appreciated having a choice compared to having to go with the one who is available..

Spencerella
on 12/6/14 6:13 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Coming from a slightly different perspective, I had reflux prior to sleeve.  The symptoms were well controlled, so I still decided on VSG.  Initially, I had to double my medication to deal with reflux after surgery, but now I am actually taking less than I was prior to surgery.  I think I will always have reflux, and being on the meds long term can be problematic, but for me personally, I have no regrets about proceeding with VSG.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0