Sleeve and reflux

390cooper
on 12/4/14 9:56 am - Ukiah, CA

doc doesn't think I should have sleeve because I have an inflamed esophagus, recommends the band. Anyone get the sleeve with reflux?

Grim_Traveller
on 12/4/14 10:24 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If a doctor recommended the band to me, I would find a new doctor. Fast. I wouldn't even consider it for a moment.

If I had reflux, I wouldn't consider the sleeve either. I've known a few people with horrible reflux after the sleeve, and they all revised to RNY, and the reflux disappeared. Bypass is pretty much a cure for reflux.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gwen M.
on 12/4/14 10:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I agree with Grim - if my surgeon recommended the band, I'd find a new surgeon.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Chilipepper
on 12/4/14 12:45 pm

I don't think you should have a VSG or band if you have GERD or reflux and an imflamed esophagus. RNY or DS would and should be your only option

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Jiliana2
on 12/4/14 9:38 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I agree with the others. If a doctor recommends the band, run far, far away. There are more people on these forums with bands who have had major problems (and needed revisions to other types of WLS) than you can possibly imagine. Truly.

With reflux, the sleeve is NOT your best option. RNY or the DS would be the route to go. Definitely.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Poodlemac
on 12/4/14 11:10 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I had severe reflux, precancerous Barrett's esophagus,  and wanted sleeve (not knowing anything different). My awesome docs recommended RNY due to the reflux. Took me a bit to wrap my head around the idea, but 2 mos post op, I know it's the best thing I've ever done for myself!!!

Just think about having a band that slows your eating and think about where that food will go. I think a band could be a death sentence for someone with severe reflux. JMO

I AGREE WITH THE OTHER POSTERS, I THINK A NEW DOCTOR IS IN ORDER. 

Poodlemac
on 12/4/14 11:11 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I had severe reflux, precancerous Barrett's esophagus,  and wanted sleeve (not knowing anything different). My awesome docs recommended RNY due to the reflux. Took me a bit to wrap my head around the idea, but 2 mos post op, I know it's the best thing I've ever done for myself!!!

Just think about having a band that slows your eating and think about where that food will go. I think a band could be a death sentence for someone with severe reflux. JMO

I AGREE WITH THE OTHER POSTERS, I THINK A NEW DOCTOR IS IN ORDER. 

390cooper
on 12/4/14 11:22 pm - Ukiah, CA

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate your input. In my mind I do not have bad reflux just a little indigestion when I eat the wrg foods! Unfortunately I live in northern ca and he is the only choice that wouldn't involve travel (the other places within driving distance either have an age restriction or won't accept medicare). He only does the sleeve and band, I told him absolutely no band-----I have read quite a few that went ahead with sleeve and did not have consequences (I also have a hiatal hernia which when fixed could make a difference). I finished all the tests etc but am in no hurry so --------

Poodlemac
on 12/5/14 12:01 am, edited 12/5/14 12:03 am
RNY on 09/26/14

The concerning comment about your reflux is "irritation". Be sure that's all it is because barretts starts out like that. This is your LIFE you're speaking of. Maybe the travel is worth it!

MsBatt
on 12/5/14 4:08 am

The Band is notorious for CAUSING reflux. Seriously, consider finding a better surgeon, even if you have to travel half-way around the wold. This is a decision that's going to affect the REST OF YOUR LIFE, so a little inconvenience now is far better than a lifetime of illness.

Here's my take on the Sleeve and reflux: tiny little Sleeves are probably going to cause reflux. I say this because over the 11+ years I've been reading bariatric boards, I've seen the size of Sleeves get smaller and smaller, and the incidence of post-op reflux get higher and higher. Back when I was in the research stage, there were very, very few people who had a stand-alone Sleeve, and in most cases, the intention was to add the intestinal part for a complete DS later. I had my DS in 2003, and my surgical notes say my Sleeve was left at 3-4 ounces. I think today a lot of surgeons make then 1 ounce.

Pre-op, I had terrible reflux. Most nights I slept sitting up, it was so bad. Since the day of my DS, I have had NO reflux. Completely cured.

So---if you want a Sleeve, talk with your NEW surgeon about leaving it on the larger size. If you're afraid a larger Sleeve will keep you from losing as much weight as you want, or will lead to regain, think about getting a full DS. The permanent malabsorption of calories the DS gives nicely balances a larger Sleeve.