A big step in the right direction

shakeitoff
on 12/3/14 11:11 pm
VSG on 03/09/15

The seminar was free.  I did the option of viewing online and asked any questions I had.  The $99 is for the visit to the Nutritionist, phsyc evalualtion etc.  Her explination was that they had people make appointments and not show up and then they would have 2-3 hours wasted with no patient.  As the wife of a business owner I can see how this could happen and why they charge. Time is money.  Money pays the bills.  I will be asking about options for the pre-op diet if she mentioned other things they didnt stick in my brain.  She had a lot of info and the $94.00 Medifast diet really stuck .  The more I think about it I may do better with the Medifast just because the food temptation will be taken away.  There will be no guessing. 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/3/14 11:15 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Yes I had to do a liquid diet as well most of do. I bought protein powder much cheaper then that. There was no guessing. I can see the now show thing and time wasted.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/3/14 11:39 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I agree with the other posters -- I went through the Cleveland Clinic -- those fees are covered by your insurance -- and if you don't show, you are simply kicked from their program.  Also, I had to do a liquid diet pre-op for two weeks -- and was able to buy my protein from any source.  If you are required to buy from them, I would agree that it's shady.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

chris_ruff
on 12/4/14 2:36 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

I'm not sure where you're located, but many places have a number of surgeons to choose from. its better to make a trip to a good surgeon than to settle for the butcher at home. i would not settle for the first one, especially one that wants you to buy medifast from him. you could buy that off amazon if you really want it. do some more research and for the love of all things holy, DO NOT get a lap band.

--Christina
shakeitoff
on 12/4/14 3:15 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I have done research.  There is a new program with 20 minutes of home.  It is so hush hush.  You just dont hear anything about it.  So I kept looking.   Now i hear the hospital may lose it's medicare status.( which wouldnt effect me)  So I am sooo glad I kept  looking.  I have no desire for a band.  He couldn't talk me into a band either.  I was told he preferes Gastric sleeve and that is what I feel comfortable with.  She went over the preop diet  pretty quick over the phone.  I will get more info next Friday.   I may have other options I'll find out then.

chris_ruff
on 12/4/14 3:19 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

good luck with the appointment. ask if the $99 will be applied to your co-pays if you ultimately have surgery there. trust yourself to know what's best for you and definitely bring any questions you have back to this board! people are always willing to help. choosing the right surgeon is the first important step. 

--Christina
(deactivated member)
on 12/4/14 4:11 am
VSG on 11/13/14

I've tried Medifast a few times and it just wasn't for me. Some of the foods are OK but not too many and I got tired of eating the same things everyday. A good friend of mine is a health coach for Medifast and they get 50% of the cost you pay for the food. If you find a different doctor you can always order Medifast through a health coach or online. Amazon even sells it. I would check to see if there's a place that offers a free consultation. Most good doctors offer them free. Good luck with the process!!

Thebiggestloser
on 12/5/14 8:53 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I work for a large medical practice - and asking you to pay admin fees is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. I did have to pay my surgeon office my coinsurance/deductible pre op once my surgery was scheduled. I would never pay for a pre op diet or admin fees.