A big step in the right direction

shakeitoff
on 12/3/14 6:52 am, edited 12/3/14 6:56 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I filled out the form on the Physicians website November 26th I think it was.  After you watch the video you complete a survey and they say we will call you for an appointment.  So I have been waiting...and waiting.  Today I finally called. Good thing the lady in charge was out of town and didn't even know I had watched the video etc.  She was supper nice and said she had the band and I am looking at the sleeve.  I was a bit surprised when she said you have to pay $99.00 ahead to make an appointment.  They want to know you are serious she said.  I can see that since the appointment is a couple of hours long.  I asked what other costs there would be besides the surgery and she said MEDIFAST which is like $94.00 a week.(can you say cha ching?)  Depending on what weight the Dr. wants me at pre-surgery how many weeks I will need to be on that.  Possibly surgery in 4-6 weeks.  Most likely 6 weeks.  She said to try and change my eating habits now to help lose pre-op weight as much as I can.  My appointment is December 12 , 2014 that gives me time to tell my husband.  I still haven't done that.  If I didn't have to take off work I don't think I would tell anyone.( I work with my husband)  Do you recommend taking someone along for the consult?  I'm thinking maybe alone might be best.  There are just some things they may ask I don't want my husband or family to know. I think if I could go thru the whole process and not tell anyone I would.  Hard to do with a husband and 4 kids.  So yes calling the Dr. and paying the $99 fee means I am committed to do this! It's a big step in the right direction.

I should add the my overweight cousin is going to be getting a pacemaker soon for his heart that they say is only working 20%.  I don't want this to be me in the future.  I'm wondering if he would have had weight loss surgery he could have avoided this?

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/14 8:06 am
VSG on 11/13/14

Is the medifast a requirement?  I just had to go on a 1200 calorie diet and lose the weight. I only had to lose a total of 14 pounds and had already lost 10 when I met with my surgeon. It sounds like they are making money off the medifast program too. I would suggest taking your husband. It helps a lot of people to have someone there to support them and then he can ask any questions he may have. Good luck. 

angel720
on 12/3/14 8:56 am
VSG on 08/06/14

Sure does sound expensive but like with my gym memberships this was the only way I would force myself to go.  If it gets you to  where your dr needs you to be to have surgery it will be worth it.   If you are not taking your husband or someone with you to the consultation  make sure you take a lot of notes, I had to re read many emails, notes and paperwork, it is a lot of information to take in all at once. 

Congrats on taking the first step!

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

Michele H.
on 12/3/14 9:47 am - NJ

My surgeon did not require anything except attending his FREE informational seminar.  Something sounds shady to me....just my opinion.

Michele

Hislady
on 12/3/14 12:28 pm - Vancouver, WA

Personally I wouldn't go to any surgeon that charged for a special pre-op diet. They are making plenty of money from the surgery it is only greed that makes them push their own food supply, probably get a kickback from the manufacturer. Again more money in his pocket.  Your surgeon also has a lap band or did so don't let him try to push you into that because a band is the worst surgery you could have and most responsible surgeons no longer do them. Good luck tho hope things go well for you!

MickeyDee
on 12/3/14 1:11 pm

I went to a free informational seminar, and did my own pre-op eating changes based on what I'd learned here about protein first, no white carbs, etc.  

Try another doctor;  there shouldn't be a mandatory fee and a designated plan of some foods purchased through the doctor's office.

dorasvsgjourney
on 12/3/14 1:12 pm
VSG on 11/26/14

My first consultation with a surgeon was a 4 hour drive in downtown San Francisco.  I had a few phone conversations with his office before the appointment and they "forgot" to mention their $5700 "program fee" that according to them was not covered by my insurance.  When later pressed, they admitted that everything they offered was covered...except the "admin fees".  To top it off the guy had the bedside manner of a rock.  Had I known about the program fee prior to the appointment I wouldn't have spent the $150 in gas and $250 on a hotel.  The money I spent wasn't what made me committed to this journey.  I committed to this journey because I was more afraid of where I would end up on the path I was on than where I was going to find the money to do something about it.

I did find a new doctor.  Still quite a drive from home, but someone who seemed genuinely interested in me and my success.  He doesn't charge a program fee, but he does require that his patients purchase their pre-op vitamins and protein drinks from him to ensure they are getting what they need.  Total cost for me was just over $400.

fredgomes
on 12/3/14 6:18 pm

Congrats

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/3/14 9:14 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I have to agree that it sounds kind of shady. You can do your own pre op plan which what most of us did.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/3/14 9:15 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Oh I wanted to add that my information seminar was free as well as the three hour class I had to go to first on how to eat.