I'm pre-op but a little scared

swimbikerun
on 12/9/14 1:54 am

A very tough decision. I will say this, as some one with complications, I would choose surgery again. I would see about choosing other items surrounding that though.

Changing to a new blog. Please investigate your surgeon. Ask specific questions on after care, practice philosophies, office staff, nutrition, supplements, etc.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/9/14 2:32 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Hi Mike. I had RNny about 2-1/2 years ago. I topped out at 475 pounds, so you are just a little feller. I've been steady at 185 pounds for about 1-1/2 years now. I was off all of my meds within a couple weeks of surgery.

I was a meat and potatoes guy before surgery too. Meat is still ideal for me, and I have a steak just about every day. Lots of meat, but no potatoes. They're just empty calories, and about the worst thing for your blood sugar. You also don't want to be having oreos with peanut butter anymore.

You mostly likely will be able to eat anything after several months post surgery. But if you don't change your eating behavior, you will start to pack weight on again. At that time, the choice will be yours.

I really haven't had any negatives from the surgery. I don't regret doing it for a moment. I thought I would miss eating certain foods, but I don't. I only wish I had done this sooner.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Chilipepper
on 12/9/14 9:39 am, edited 12/9/14 9:41 am

We all have the same worries and concerns. We all start to mourn food before we even make the decision to go through with the procedure. If you are here and are asking questions then you already know there is a problem and you need to get a handle on it.  

Life postop is more rewarding than a side of stuffing or mashed potatoes and gravy and yes even Oreos and milk. 

The he first step is recognizing you have a problem and you are here.  We are all happy to have you! 

Next is to research surgeries. I personally recomend either the RNY or the DS, but many have had great success with the VSG also.  

Ask questions and think about what life would be like if you weren't around for your family because you hesitated to make changes.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

mike324-190
on 12/10/14 9:06 am
RNY on 12/30/14

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yes I have made my decision, following the Dr's recommendation and researching this myself, I have decked to go with RNY. I can live with that surgery's post op food requirements the best, and my Dr has performed hundreds of these operations over the last 15+ years. My surgery date is set for 12-30-14. Woo Hoo!

White Dove
on 12/10/14 5:35 pm - Warren, OH

At 5'2" tall and 176 pounds, I was shocked when my doctor told me the only real solution for my diabetes was RNY.  I could not deal with that and went onto Lantus insulin instead.  The doctor told me that he would prescribe the insulin but warned me that I would gain about 30 more pounds with insulin.

I found that hard to believe because I did not think I ate much and I was willing to exercise every day.  With insulin I found my body had become a fat-storing machine.  I fought long and hard and it took almost 10 years to gain that 30 pounds which made me officially fat enough so that my insurance would pay for RNY.

Every year I struggled more and gained more.  A half hour at Curves found me panting and pouring sweat after 10 minutes.  A twenty minute walk around the local track was extremely exhausting, but I did it every single day.  I measured and tracked my food, weighed myself daily, avoided carbs and only used artificial sweeteners.  I was exhausted trying to keep weight under control and it always went up.  I gained about three pounds a year for ten years.

One day, I just told my doctor I was ready for the surgery.  I had to do a six month supervised plan of diet and exercise.  I started in May and had RNY in October.  I worried constantly about how I would cope with loss of food, and with complications.

After surgery, I wondered why I had worried so much.  I was taken off all medications immediately.  I no longer had any appetite.  I liked my new food plan because it was the same thing I had always done, but this time I also had absolutely no hunger. 

That was in 2007 and I still never have gotten hungry.  I eat a diet high in protein and very few carbs.  I easily maintain at 136 pounds.  I am full of energy, even though many years older.  I still love a good steak, but in my case am satisfied with about two ounces.  I don't miss any foods, because I can eat anything if I truly want to.

I could go back to eating more food, I could train my body to want and tolerate it.  I chose to stay slim and healthy.  The biggest difference for me is never again having to deal with hunger.  That makes everything so much easier.

Like almost everyone, my biggest regret was the years that I spent trying to do it on my own. 

God has certainly pointed you in the right direction and is giving you the means to continue.  Surgery is a tool and a blessing.  Use it wisely and be thankful for the chance to lose the weight and live a normal, healthy life. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends