I'm pre-op but a little scared

mike324-190
on 12/3/14 7:57 am
RNY on 12/30/14

Can you point me to the statistics that show that the duodenal switch is the best for me? My doctor does all of the procedures as well as other general surgery. He took out my gall bladder last year. I am very confident in his abilities. Check his reviews on this site. His name is Dr. Steven Tersigni. I have not found one bad review anywhere on the web or anyone I talk to who has had him as their Dr. The other folks I mention that he is my doctor all say he is great!So I have utmost trust in him and his abilities.

But if you say that I should consider something different, please point me in the right direction to find out why.

Thanks!

MsBatt
on 12/4/14 2:27 am

Approximately 85% of diabetics who get the RNY achieve total remission of symptoms, at least for the first few years. Better than 98% of diabetics who get the DS achieve total remission, and based on ten-year stats, it seems to be permanent. In fact, the Ds works so very well in treating diabetes that surgeons in Europe perform the intestinal portion on NON-obese diabetics.

As for high cholesterol, DSers only absorb about 20% of the fat we eat. Most DSers I know eat 150+ grams of fat a day, yet have cholesterol numbers around 100. My cholesterol has gone from over 220 to 112---and no meds.

How many DSes has Dr. Tersigni performed? Who did he train under? I ask because he's not known as a DS surgeon inside the DS community. He may be a fabulous surgeon, but he's just not known as a DS surgeon.

I suggest you join some of the DS-oriented FB groups and talk with some DSers who are several years post-op. (Same for the other surgeries as well, of course.) And you should visit the Revision board right here at OH. There's also www.bariatricfacts.org. www.dsfacts.com, and some others.

mike324-190
on 12/4/14 3:02 am
RNY on 12/30/14

I do not recall who he studied under, and I do not know how many DS procedures he has performed, but I do know that Dr Tersigni is a teacher himself at many universities here in Oregon. He is the head of one of the top 5 bariatric centers in Oregon. This bariatric center has maintained this reputation for many years. He has a very spectacular reputation, not only here in town, but in the major cities and at OHSU as well.

I have made my choice to go forward with RNY.There are many reasons for my choice, including but not limited to my Dr's recommendation. I believe that once I get down to a more manageable weight, I will keep off my weight, because I will be able to move again. But mostly, I am not a statistic, and I will make sure to never get back here again.

I sincerely thank you for your information, and am happy that you are happy with your choice, I just do not think it is the best for me.

Have a blessed day!

Mike

Poodlemac
on 12/3/14 10:25 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

The "VERY BEST" surgery for Mike is the one he and his surgeon determine is best!  

Han Shot First
on 12/3/14 10:11 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Hi Mike,

I think Tawana had it right when she said focus on your wife and daughter.  Not thinking about what might happen during surgery, but what WILL happen if you don't get surgery.  That was what made me go forward with it ultimately.  I want to be here with my wife and daughter as long as possible, and there's no doubt if I didn't have it done, I would've had many years fewer with them.

I certainly understand the food concerns; I had those same ones.  But realize:  the food that you love is what got you to this point.  I love pizza, but when I was eating a whole one by myself was killing me.  At first, you will not have those things.  But it won't be forever.  And they may not be exactly the same, but you'll still have it in some form.  If you haven't checked them out, two really popular bariatric food blogs are theworldaccordingtoeggface and BariatricFoodie.  They each have tons of recipes, and lots of ideas for good food that will not make you feel deprived.  

Ultimately, it is a major change, and there's nothing at all wrong about being nervous.  But at 2 months out, I'm very pleased with my decision, and just think:  by next year at this time, you'll be a whole new man.  You'll be healthier, doing more with your daughter, looking better, and all these fears will be long behind you.  You can do it!

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Trouble1391011
on 12/3/14 10:15 pm

I had surgery a little over 2 months ago.  I was back on a "normal" diet before Thanksgiving.  With that being said, I ate the same things I eat every year for Thanksgiving but this year, my plate had a bite or 2 of potatoes, corn, and those things and more meat on it.  I still enjoyed and got to taste everything.  I don't have a big sweet tooth so I had a bite of pie at desert time and that was enough to make me not feel like I wasn't able to enjoy things anymore.  Also, I have had steak and as long as it is cut small and chewed really well, I didn't have any issues with it at all.  So far, I haven't had issues with anything I have eaten. 

I have 5 kids and I want to be there for them until I am old... I don't want to leave them when they are still young because I couldn't kick all the weight from having them. 

I was more worried about the after effects of surgery then dying from the surgery itself as my Dr has never had anyone die on him that I am aware of.  My insurance only covers the RNY so that was my only option and my Dr won't do the LapBand as it has sooo many issues and its just not worth it in the long run.  

Good luck in your journey and making your decision. 

mike324-190
on 12/4/14 12:30 am
RNY on 12/30/14

You guys are great! Thank you for your replies. You have helped me tremendously. I just spoke to the Dr's office and discussed the DS vs the RNY, and they said that my Dr does do that procedure, but does not feel it is right for me. They have me penciled in for 12-30-14 for my surgery date! Woo Hoo!

I also spoke to them about the reservations I have expressed here and they concur with your advice too. The best thing I can do is think about what if I do not have this procedure. Remember that if I don't have it, that nothing will change for the better, it will only get worse. The way I feel now, I sure do not want to get worse. I also keep reminding myself about what the future possibilities are. I can picture myself hiking and hunting with my wife and daughter. I see myself riding a bicycle again. I may even get a gym membership with all of the money I will be saving on food, I will be able to afford it. :-)

shakeitoff
on 12/4/14 3:00 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I have considered weightloss surgery for years.  A recent death in the family help me make a decision to do it NOW!  I had 2 aunts with diabetes giving themselves shots before they could eat.  I had an uncle who just had his umtenth surgery for either a hip, knee or back due to his weight ( I have lost track of all of his surgeries).  In waddles a few cousins I know have heart issues  and sleep apnea) and then  there I stand  looking at my future.  Needles and surgery after surgery.  My goal is that this 1 surgery (Gastric sleeve) will spare me from the hip and knee replacements.  The back pain and more surgeries.  If you had a drug problem your family would want you to get help.  Food is your drug as is mine.  Why food addiction is treated differently than alcohol or drugs I don't understand.  My mom was against surgery for years.  She sees now it will save my life.  She used to tell me she couldn't live the rest of her life with half a stomach.  What she forgot to ask was Could I live without it.  For it is I who would have the surgery not her! Im starting to see that some people see themselves as the one who has the surgery not me.  I hope to never know the pain of a heart attack because of my weight or the poke of a needle from diabetes due to my weight.

mike324-190
on 12/4/14 3:17 am
RNY on 12/30/14

The pain of a heart attack is definitely not something I ever want to feel AGAIN! Yes, I said again. I had a heart attack while recovering an elk I had just harvested across a field over a small hill. I only made it half way to the elk when I found myself laying on my back in the middle of this field with an elephant on my chest. I certainly thought I was going to die right then and there, but by the grace of God, I started breathing easily and was able to get back up, and get to my truck to call my wife to bring me help to get the elk out. I didn't tell her quite why I couldn't do everything right then and there myself, I didn't want her to panic. I went into the Dr's office a couple days later and told him about it. He told me it sounded like I had had a heart attack. He ordered some tests and lo and behold I had 3 blockages in my heart between 85 and 95% blocked. They quickly sent me to Eugene to a cardiologist and I had the three stents installed within a few days. I was only 44 years old at the time. I am now 47.

I hate going to sleep thinking: Am I going to wake up in the morning? Or will the good Lord take me home tonight while I sleep? This is a nightly occurrence. So am I motivated to make this work? Absolutely!

Mike

mike324-190
on 12/4/14 10:37 am
RNY on 12/30/14

I found out today that I have to be on a liquid diet for two weeks before surgery. Does anyone have any good recommendations for something that don't taste too bad and has a good variety? It also has to be pretty good for vitamins and for weight loss too. The girl in the Dr office didn't really tell me too much about it. If I can get it at Walmart that will be great. My wife works there and gets a 25% discount today and tomorrow so I'm going to stock up. Can you help me with a grocery list?