Hellooooooo there!! Newbie here ;) with a ?..hope someone can give me some insight =)

rocio27
on 12/2/14 1:05 pm, edited 12/2/14 1:10 pm
RNY on 11/12/14

So I'm 3 weeks post-op RNY and wondering why I am able to drink lots of liquid without feeling full!?! Does anyone know? Is this normal? 

Chilipepper
on 12/2/14 2:00 pm

Because liquids run through your pouch and you shouldnt eat or drink to try and make yourself feel full. The nerves are cut and healing. Measure you food

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

rocio27
on 12/2/14 2:21 pm
RNY on 11/12/14

Thank you!  That makes sense.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/2/14 9:31 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Yes even us sleevers who maintain our polyuric(sp) valves still have liquids go through rather fast.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 12/3/14 4:11 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The pyloric valve remains open and allows fluids to go through your stomach and into your small intestine.  When you start eating dense proteins, the pyloric valve closes, processes the food in your stomach and you feel satiated for a longer period of time.

What you're feeling is also a result of the nerves in your stomach having been severed.  You won't feel much restriction until they fully heal.  In my case, it was between weeks 5-6, but some people take longer.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

MsBatt
on 12/4/14 2:32 am

Actually, in the RNY the pylorus is totally bypassed. No food comes into contact with it any longer. The pouch, which takes the place of the stomach, has an always-open HOLE in the bottom. The reason that dense proteins make RNYers feel full is because ideally this HOLE is very small.

rocio27
on 12/4/14 5:49 am
RNY on 11/12/14

Thank u all for the great responses, and for enlightening me