Considering a gastric sleeve!

girlonfire89
on 11/29/14 11:57 am - OR

I'm 25, live in Portland, and I'm considering getting the gastric sleeve surgery at OHSU's bariatric surgery center. I'm morbidly obese and have been for most of my life; I've been able to lose weight but not very much and I always gain it back. I don't want to spend the second half of my 20s fat and I want to be in good health for the rest of my life. I'm just getting started with the process and I want to get it done ASAP while I'm still on my parents' insurance (it'll cover 90% of the surgery costs). The only thing that concerns me is I do have a history of an eating disorder and I'm seeing both a therapist and psychiatrist to manage my depression. I really do believe that being able to manage my hunger will really help augment my weight-loss efforts. I'm not looking at the surgery as a magic bullet or quick fix, but rather just one tool in an arsenal to help me reach my goal weight. 

Any thoughts on the gastric sleeve(planning on the laparascopic one)? Will my history disqualify me as a candidate? What are the pros and cons from anybody who has had it? What is the usual amount of weight lost? I am planning on adding lots of exercise to this plan to maintain the weight loss. Sorry for all the questions and I look forward to chatting with you all throughout this process! :) 

SW: 290 CW:290 GW: 160  

Gwen M.
on 11/30/14 12:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You might consider checking out the VSG forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg - and reading through old posts there.  

I'm a VSGer and have chronicled my entire process in my blog - the link is below in my signature.  

Welcome!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)