New to this

stephmolk
on 11/29/14 12:07 am

Hey! So I went to the wellness center near me and got the whole presentation about surgery, but I chose the non-surgical option for now. I was given a list of foods and told good luck! we'll see you in a month. The food list is incredibly restrictive ( no fruits yet, no grains, no carrots or hummus and lots of protein), and after a week I'm not seeing any progress. I've been eating less calories than I used to with these foods, but nothing is happening.

Am I expecting too much from this restrictive list? Has anyone else felt this way for their first week?

(and yes, I did enjoy thanksgiving dinner, but in much smaller portions, like one or two spoonful size, than I would have before.)

Gwen M.
on 11/29/14 1:37 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Life change takes longer than a week!  Your body always takes time to adjust to change, so don't panic too much.  If you can stick with your plan, you'll see the results you're looking for.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

soxshuff
on 11/29/14 10:07 am - Edgewater, MD
VSG on 12/02/14

Hey there!

In the beginning it can be really weird...... are you going for the lap-band?  There whole goal with you right now it to try to re-train you how to eat, protein first and so on...... don't get discouraged.  Give it time..... at least 3 weeks of serious following of the diet.  It will get easier.

Keep the faith!

Jen

stephmolk
on 11/29/14 10:42 pm

I'm actually not going for any surgery- the wellness center I'm working with has a non surgical option which I'm doing. It's the same or at least a similar diet, and the diet feels like torture, not a lifestyle change. Granted, my shopping cart was so much healthier yesterday, but no carrots and apples? No avocado or hummus? And there's nothing sweet except my protein shake. I feel like I have so many questions but I need to wait til next month when I have my appt. Is this the norm, even when you are getting surgery? 

Oy.

MsBatt
on 12/1/14 12:11 am

The reason that diets don't work long-term is because most of us can't stick to them, long-term. Carrots, apples, avocados and even hummus have a lot of calories for the amount of nutrition they provide. If you really want to make a non-surgical solution work for you, this is how you will need to eat FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

I knew that I couldn't do that, so I chose to have the Duodenal Switch. I no longer absorb all the calories I eat, especially calories from FAT. Being at liberty to eat all the protein and fat I want has made it much easier to resist eating carbs. It IS a lifestyle change, not a 'diet'.

stephmolk
on 12/1/14 12:26 am

Possibly there was a misunderstanding about my post. I just started and I have many questions, and I don't know if my experiences with the limitations are typical; I was  trying to get feedback about what others have experienced in their first few weeks. And yes, I understand it's a lifestyle change which is why I have so many questions-because it's a very important change. I feel if I understood the reasons behind the restrictions it might make more sense to me. I'm glad you the Duodenal Switch worked for you, but I'm not going to have surgery for many reasons. I honestly just want to make a change, a lifestyle change. 

Thanks so much for your feedback.