Taking Time off work

dorasvsgjourney
on 12/3/14 2:20 pm
VSG on 11/26/14

I have only told a few people other than close family about my surgery because I didn't want to hear their horror stories or other negative comments.  I also didn't want them to watch every bit of food that went into my mouth for the 6 months prior or even after my surgery.  However, just prior to surgery I did tell the people I closely work with and see often.  I told them because I did not want them to feel that I had lied even if by omission, or be worried when I was quickly dropping weight or because they saw how little I actually now eat.  So far everyone has been very supportive and excited for me.  I had my surgery last Wednesday and was back to work on Monday this week.  Lucky for me I have a desk job that does not require physical labor. 

I have found one person that I have told who has been even remotely negative.  She is probably my best friend, and she admitted that it was because she was jealous.  She is actually the one who inspired me to get the surgery because she has lost 135-140 pounds over the past 2 1/2 years.  She isn't quite to her goal yet and is afraid I will pass her up.  She will still make comments here and there when we talk about what I am eating, but I know where she is coming from and I don't allow it to bother me. 

Good luck!

Valerie G.
on 12/3/14 10:46 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

With such a small group, you're probably pretty close knit - like a family.  With that, I would recommend being open about it all.  You'll get mixed responses and you'll be under a microscope, for they will want to see the results.  Many will cheer along with you and you may have a couple who are resentful as they chew on a stick of celery in the corner.  Others will consider you an inspiration to them or a close family member that they can tell about your success. 

My experience was very good.  I had a tremendous amount of support, and surprisingly enough, it was my closest friend at work who was the resentful one.  She and I were researching wls together.  I took the plunge getting the duodenal switch, and she chickened out all together.  Instead of being inspired, she had a hard time handling it when I lost my weight and people started treating me differently.  I was supposed to resent them for it, and I accepted it graciously and it displeased her.  Here we are some 10 years later - she has gained even more weight, but I am cheering her diet right now as she's lost 39 lbs.  Sadly, it will probably come right back next year.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

marlene52414
on 12/4/14 5:05 am

Thank you all for being so openly honest with me. Your stories have inspired me to actually tell my co-workers. We're 7 in our little group but im sure they'll be supportive. I have only told 1 person which is my HR person but i trust her and she's actually excited for me.

Thank you all again!!! :D