Surgery approved......now nervous.....

soxshuff
on 11/29/14 9:58 am - Edgewater, MD
VSG on 12/02/14

Well, my gastric sleeve surgery is December 2.  I'm on a liquid diet, and that's okay...... but now I'm scared about the recovery, also scared about how long it will take to be up and moving again.  Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!!

Poodlemac
on 11/29/14 10:55 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I had RNY, but I felt pretty good by day 4. I went shopping and to movies and things to keep at least a little active while off work 2 weeks. Probably could have gone back in a week, but wanted to transition to "real" food at home. Besides, I deserved a peaceful healing away from work!

soxshuff
on 11/29/14 10:58 am - Edgewater, MD
VSG on 12/02/14

Thank you for the feed back!!!

kathkeb
on 11/29/14 12:43 pm

You will be up and walking in the hospital, I believe.

Once at home, you should be up and doing some light walking every hour or so during the day.  Walking helps move the gas out of your body, prevent clots and build strength.

I did not have the VSG but a family member did, as well as several friends.  I believe most took about 2 weeks off from work.

Managing food, water, sleeping, walking becomes a full-time effort for the first few weeks .. As you transition off of pain meds and build your stamina.

Excitment mixed with trepidation is very, very common in these last few days.

If you can, finish up laundry, stock some soups, protein drinks, teas, movies or books or some activity to keep you busy .... So you can just come home and rest, sip and walk around!

best of luck!

Kath

Elegantchic82
on 11/30/14 1:23 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Congrats!! To you. I just found out last week I got approved too, my surgery will be toward the end of dec, I'm so excited and nervous!! From everything I have read here and from others, make sure you follow what your doctor has instructed, very important!! Well I'm wishing so much luck on your new journey!!

Luvmygs
on 11/30/14 3:10 am
VSG on 12/04/14

My surgery is scheduled for Dec. 4th and I just had my pre-op appointment with my surgeon. She said we're up and walking around after 3 hrs of our surgery.  We're going to do great and just think of the new chance in life we'll get! Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery. Christine

PS: you should be posting on the Vertical Sleeve Forum.

soxshuff
on 11/30/14 8:12 am - Edgewater, MD
VSG on 12/02/14

Thank you, I will move to the Vertical Sleeve Forum.  Thank you and a fast recovery for you too!!

Member Services
on 11/30/14 5:11 am - Irvine, CA
andrewt159
on 12/2/14 7:27 pm - beverly hills, CA

Normally, after gastric sleeve surgery, you will be discharged from the clinic within 2-3 days but the total recovery period is around 3 to 6 months. Since a large portion of the stomach is removed, there will some pain in the lower left quadrant of the abdomen. This is most between day 3 and 6 when you are up on your feet. The surgeon will give you instructions on how to minimize the pain as much as possible. After 8 weeks you can resume your normal diet but the reduced quantity of food intake will help you lose a lot of weight. Best of luck for the surgery!