a year after wls

Alain Hebert
on 11/23/14 8:59 am - Canada

Hi everybody, I have a question.  I had the gastric bypass a year ago in september 2013 and now im starting getting weight again.  What should I do to prevent getting fat again.  Im going to the gym like 4-5 time a week also.  I also dont know if im getting muscle wieght or fat weight. 

Thanks to all.  :)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/24/14 12:23 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You might want to post this in the wls grad or rny forum for more answers. I'm still a newbie & still in the weight loss phase portion of my weight loss journey. Other posters have said that the real work starts in maintenance, too easy to fall back into bad habits after all the weight is off.

Do you still track your food? I'd start there, just to see how much you're really eating, if carbs snuck back in more abundantly, if protein/water levels have gone down etc.

As far as if you've gained fat or muscle you have to have a special test done. I think they dip you in water or something, I really don't know, but I have seen it posted here in the past. I'm not sure if they sell special scales that can measure how much fat you have as well as your weight. I thought I saw something like that in the stores, but it might be a gimmick or way inaccurate. Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

MsBatt
on 11/24/14 12:54 am

Here's a tip---if you'll put your surgery type and date on your profile, that info will show up each time you post. It will help us help you.

The first thing to look at is your diet. Do you journal your food? If not, start. Don't change anything immediately---eat normally for the next few days, but write down EVERY SINGLE BITE. Look at how many calories you're really eating, and break them down into grams of protein, fat, and carbs. Odds are good that you're eating more carbs than you realize.Post a typical day's menu here, and we'll make any suggestions we can.

You may have stopped malabsorbing calories---most folks who get the RNY/gastric bypass do eventually, usually by 18-24 months post-op. This may mean you simply need to take in fewer calories, or that you need to change the ratio of protein/fat/carbs.

Cathy W.
on 11/24/14 1:07 am

What are you doing now that is different than you did before?  Are you drinking with meals, grazing, eating more carbs, went back to old habits that you had before your WLS?  With weight regain, it is usually one (or more) of these. 

I've had a couple of regain periods and I was grazing and eating more carbs.  When I stopped grazing, cut way back on my carbs and ate protein first in my meals, I was able to s-l-o-w-l-y lose it again. 

dragonlove
on 11/25/14 2:06 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I agree with the other posters - it is likely sneaky high calorie foods and not-good habits sneaking in.  For example, you may still feel like you are getting protein first and eating properly, but if you look at your choices, you might be choosing dishes with high calorie sauces that you didn't used to eat.  You may have a couple of times during the day that you have fallen into the habit of a little extra grazing as opposed to scheduled snacks.  These little things add up and I know from experience they can sure sneak in!

Good luck!  I'm right at a year out myself - almost to goal, but loss is so slooow now that it is almost stopped (but not quite!).  I want to ease into maintenance rather than doing a shift in eating.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)